• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M170 Driver and Passenger Seats/Frames

Get Some

i just bought a 1962 M170 off of gsaauctions.gov. Runs great and body is in decent shape but i need seats and or seat frames. I have been searching the internet without any luck. Does anyone know of a supplier or a fabricator who canmake the seat frames?
THanks
Chris

rdsar2k

I have two M170's. I can tell you they are hard to find parts for. Seats, stretcher brackets, spare tire bracket and any ambulance gear is tough. Bows can be had from Ron Fitzgerald parts (G503.com). The recent M170 inquiries are all looking for seats. I have never heard of anyone making the seats and others have asked. I will say that since I bought mine in 2007 I have seen all parts occasionally pop up on ebay, willysmjeeps, G503.com and others. Brentmullins in texas has rear drive shafts, exhaust pipes, parking brake cables and wiring harnesses. He periodically comes up with stuff. armyjeepparts comes up with stuff also. midwest mil has M170 gas tank senders. I have tool box lids for the wheel wells, and a windshield frame. I buy what pops up and I can afford as spares and I have no spares so that ought to tell you something.

jasonjc

I'm in the same boat. The seats and all the ambulance stuff is gone. I've been thinking of just putting seats on the side like they did for the flight line taxi. What do you think??

Mike O

Yes, M170 parts are a tough find. Mine is also a 1962. Luckily, mine came with a complete drivers seat and the backrest for the passenger but no bottom frame. I've been looking for one for years with no success. Good luck.

jasonjc

How hard would it be for one you with the sets to take pic's and measurements of them, so maybe some one could make one????

rdsar2k

I have tried to do that with someone a few years ago. I took a lot of pics of the medic bottom but it didn't work out. It's one of those deals where there are a lot of radius's and off sets that you really need a sample to form to. It could be done but it is hard to describe with a tape measurer. The seat is pretty straight forward but the legs are wierd.
I will post some pictures of the bottom I have in my gallery at willysmjeeps.com (page 5 under rdsar2k) so you det the idea.

Get Some

I am thinking of maybe getting M38A! seat frames and modifiying them. If i cant get teh original, want to do something so i can drive it around. Body is in great shape. I appreciate all the responses. At least i know we are all having the same issues.
Chris

mobilized medic

Yo Folks;
Somewhere in a jeep forum, there was mention of Jeepster seats and internals that could be used in the M170. You would think the CJ6 seats should be useable/modifiable as these two vehicles were on the same frames. But I have not a whole lot of CJ6s laying around either.
I had an M170 'carcass' that I sent down the road because of frustration in getting the rack,seats,lights etc. But since owning an M38A1 the parts are considerably easier to obtain.
I had looked into getting the hardware fabricated but quality and cost became a big issue. Any way of getting an idea of how much of demand for these that a fabrication run of merit could be run? I am surprised that MD Juan has not set a reproduction run of these parts.
I am always looking for M170 parts in hopes that maybe I will find the Holy Grail and get back to restoring an M170.
When at the Medics Museum in San Antonio I sat and drooled at the beautiful M170 displayed there.
Regards, Mobilized (and driving a "short box" instead) Medic

12Bravo

Yes seats are very hard to come by. I have a 62 M170 that is also missing the seats (long with all ambulance specifics). I doubt that CJ6 seats would work since the CJ6 uses basically the same fuel tank as the CJ5/M38A1.

BillF

The one you got from GSA did in come from NH? I know of two m170's, I know one does not have the seats, I have yet to see the other.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks