• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M172A1.....Legal???

bguy193

Ok guys, Here it is.............
The US DOT says that the max trailer width is 8'6" (102") and the M172A1 is about 9'7" (115") can somebody fill me in?????? Is she or ishe not legal????
Thanks.........

AMGeneral

:ditto:

Plus the factory ramps for these trailers are heavy,granted they WILL NOT flex,even with 35,000 lbs of concentrated weight,but it requires some forethought when you use the trailer to move something.

The M172A1s are rated at 50,000 lbs off road and 60,000 on road,given the robust construction of the trailer,they would probably haul more(not that I would reccommend it).

The permits are a hassle,but the trailers are inexpensive compared to a civilian trailer of the same capacity, I have blanket permits for mine in NC and SC and use it frequently,it's a lot less hassle and somewhat cheaper and more comfortable than using a 5 ton wrecker to go pick a truck up.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I was in the Army we routinely hauled D8 dozers behind a M916 with this trailer......we never had a problem with the DOT but them again we only operated off post once and awhile....when we did we never got permits.
It's a great trailer but as AMG pointed out the ramps are a hernia waiting to happen.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Could ypu make a hinge and pin set up for the rampe, then uas a air cylinder it lift it for travel and a safty chain to hold it in place

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was in the Army we routinely hauled D8 dozers behind a M916 with this trailer......we never had a problem with the DOT but them again we only operated off post once and awhile....when we did we never got permits.
It's a great trailer but as AMG pointed out the ramps are a hernia waiting to happen.
Ditto :deadhorse:

fasttruck

m172 also has a reversalbe kingpin which allows itr to be pulled by tractors with standard 2.5" fifth wheel jaws such as m 818 and m 915 or 3" pins for m 916, 1920, and m 123. Had
one coupled to a m 911 once but could only move in straight lines. . .

fasttruck

Lights however are 24 volt only which makes use with civilian tractors difficult. So they solved that problem with the m 916.

M1075

m172 also has a reversalbe kingpin which allows itr to be pulled by tractors with standard 2.5" fifth wheel jaws such as m 818 and m 915 or 3" pins for m 916, 1920, and m 123. Had
one coupled to a m 911 once but could only move in straight lines. . .
I think those are 2" and 3.5", respectively. What was the deal with the M911? I have run that combination before and didn't have any problems.

L999here

...M172A1 on the road...

Got my M172A1 from GL and have run IN,IL,WI,KY,WV and VA with temporary 'WIDE LOAD' permits thru the DMV in each state. IN,WV,VA and WI are all $20@ for each trip...KY is $65 and IL is $30. I am getting a yearly permit and can pull it with my '94 Freightliner w/o a CDL,as it is registered,titled and plated as a 'farm vehicle' and is legal to operate in IN with only a Chaffuer's license within 150mi. of home. Had a CDL with me for trips to VA...to pick it up and WI to get my 1943 White half track. Pulls great and you are legal with the proper 'WIDE LOAD' PERMITS FOR ANY STATE YOU DRIVE THRU. Just make sure you have the 'WIDE LOAD' banners,red flags and a CDL driver with you when necessary. Also use it to haul my FV432 APC around locally and made the MV rally at the Ropkey Museum in Crawfordsville,IN in Sep. Need help to put the very heavy ramps in place...but there are always SS guys to help an old man....LOL. Good luck and drive safe....

fasttruck

Ramps weigh 300 pound each. In an earlier life I learned how to slide them on and off the trailer by myself. But the Doctor told be to knock off the John Wayne stuff so that was the end of that. Inside wheels have shallow lug nuts so you need a 1.5" deep socket to get them on or off if you are working on an inside tire. The TM describes how to modify the issue lug nut wrench to do this if you have a second wrench to cut up and know how to weld. In New Jersey the various government agencies are exempt from motor vehicle fees so when the purpose of the permit is to register the collection of a fee you don't have to have a permit. There are about 16 grease points on a 172. Neglect them at your own peril.

When you set the ramps on the side of the trailer and support the front corners with jack stands you can use the 172 to load other trailers of similar height that do not have their own ramps. Hauled bulldozers, GOERS, RTFLs other trucks, ocean freight containers, engineer materials and a 19000# rock presently situated in front of the armory in Sea Gir t, NJ back in the day with mine and usually a M52A or M818 tractor

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll never forget, back in the day, one of these came up for Ft Hood DRMO live auction that was bowed in the middle a lot. Auctioneer told us "yeah that's what happens when you load a 50 ton M60 tank on there" which apparently they routinely did at Hood.

fasttruck

A M60 tank is a 100% overload for a M172. I wonder how much damage they did to the tractor if it was a 5 ton. As a bowed frame from overloading exceeds any standard of fair wear and tear I also wonder what happened to the genius who authorized this stunt. I have seen pics of a M123/747 loaded with a Pershing tank which weighs less than a M60 so I guess the equipment survived the mission.

That_Cowboy

Hey there I know it’s been a while since this thread was last used. I have an M818 looking to haul a roughly 30,000 LBS. Trackloader/Dozer with an M172A1. Does it have air over hydraulic brakes?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks