• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M185 Blowing Oil Out Exhast?

Atten

Hey folks,

When I got my M185 a few months ago the end of the exhast pipe was jet black and you could see that there was some faded splatter on the passenger side of the box. I didn't think much of it. However after driving it recently I inspected it and found that the exhast is now covered in black and there is now black splatter all over the side and front of the grill.

I do not know much about diesel vehicles so I'm not exactly sure what is happening here. What is all this black splatter (I'm thinking oil)? Why is it doing this? How can I stop it from doing this again?

scooter01922

Have the stack covered with a can since you last drove it??? If not what you are seeing is most likely water mixed with soot. Rain gets in there and makes some nasty crap if you don't keep things covered.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you been letting it idle a bunch? These engines are known for belching black stuff out the exhaust if they run at an idle for a long time.

Pawnshop

That is normal, cover the stack to keep rain out, and to keep your J pipe from rusting out. My M109 is all speckedy too. Ask jeep-Jeep and M813RC about the krap that comes out of the stack after a hard rain and gets your old USMC uniform (with your kid inside it) all covered in black spots:)

Last edited:

Atten

Ah ok, thanks for the replies. It's been raining real hard this last few weeks so I'll bet that's what it is because I haven't been letting it idle much at all.

What do yall use to cover the stack?

wsucougarx

I use either a plastic 1 gallon milk jug and cut out the top at an angle, thus keeping the handle:wink: and I also use a Tropicana Orange Juice 1 gallon jug cut in a similiar fashion. I use plastic b/c I seem to forget to take them off and drive over them all the time. This way plastic won't hurt anything and have plenty around

SasquatchSanta

Fill the pipe full of empty Coors cans. When you start up, rev her up to 2600. When the empty cans (make sure they are empty) come flying out they will clean the inside of the pipe. If you need any help emptying the cans call me. Hey --- what are friends for :-D

Pawnshop

To keep with the military theme I use Mermite inserts! I got a Mermite with two inserts with no covers and since I have two Deuces I decided that this would be the perfect application for said inserts. And yes, my M109 box is speckeldy as well.

You can really see the diameter difference in the turbo and non-turbo stack when it is inside a Mermite insert...

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
All the above is of course assuming that you are checking your oil level and it is not "burning" any?
I agree with all the above...it is a known fact. However..there may be other problems..go with the simplest as suggested first and pray for the best!:-D

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's actually oil to where it is running down the stack and making more smoke than normal it would be a turbo.;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks