• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M197A1 Converter Dolly Refurbish

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the purpose of the bar mounted to the top of the springs? I assume it's to minimize axle wrap, but what forces would cause that in this application?
Your guess is as good as mine. One of the bars is adjustable, I think this is to alter the axle alignment.

That is cool! what is one of those things worth?
I'm not really sure. I'd like to think $500-$1500 depending on condition.

rustystud

What is the purpose of the bar mounted to the top of the springs? I assume it's to minimize axle wrap, but what forces would cause that in this application?
From what I've been told in the shop, it's to help in braking to keep the axle from twisting, since the weight of the trailer is pushing down on the dolly.

stb64

''What is the purpose of the bar mounted to the top of the springs? I assume it's to minimize axle wrap, but what forces would cause that in this application?''

If you look closely at the ends of the leaf springs, you will find they are not hinged. There is a bolt to keep them from falling out of the pockets, but it does not transmit any braking forces. That's what the ''bars'' (torque rods) are for. One is adjustable to aline the axle.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thanks stb64 , my M353 and M332 trailer have them also and always wondered what they did as the 332 trailer is only 100lb heaver than a M105 but they both have the same payload.

Last edited:

rebelqwes87

'If you look closely at the ends of the leaf springs, you will find they are not hinged. There is a bolt to keep them from falling out of the pockets, but it does not transmit any braking forces. That's what the ''bars'' (torque rods) are for. One is adjustable to aline the axle.
I didn't even notice there were no shackles.

rustystud

''What is the purpose of the bar mounted to the top of the springs? I assume it's to minimize axle wrap, but what forces would cause that in this application?''

If you look closely at the ends of the leaf springs, you will find they are not hinged. There is a bolt to keep them from falling out of the pockets, but it does not transmit any braking forces. That's what the ''bars'' (torque rods) are for. One is adjustable to aline the axle.
So the old farts in the shop where right ! It is for braking.

rustystud

Here's the tm for this converter dolly, the parts in question are called "radius rods", they hold the axle in alignment. I have the same axle and suspension under my m146 trailer.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=421312&d=1365540914
If it was just for alignment why not use this on all the single axle trailers ? Because they are not supporting the weight and mass of a trailer behind them. When braking there is tremendous force pushing against that axle, and without that rod there the spring would roll up causing all kinds of problems.

RAYZER

If it was just for alignment why not use this on all the single axle trailers ? Because they are not supporting the weight and mass of a trailer behind them. When braking there is tremendous force pushing against that axle, and without that rod there the spring would roll up causing all kinds of problems.
All of the single axle 6ton military trailers I have seen have this suspension setup, since the springs float on both ends (no eyes), the radius rods by design hold the axel in alignment.
However, I do see your point that the radius rods also prevent axle wrap.

Artisan

It's starting to cool off plenty, now we can get after
a lot more of this stuff. That's a lot of work and a
thankless job at that, it will serve you well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks