• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 302 crank bolt size

Jeeperjoe

Anyone know the size of the crank bolt on an m211 with a 302? I'm planing on helping a friend who thinks the motor is seized and I want to see if she's stuck truck is an hour + away from my tools want to be prepared before I drive out thanks for any help in advance

Jeeperjoe

Well got out there today to take a look and it wouldnt turn, so either the motor is locked up or too much compression for me to turn it over by hand, i was also unable to get all but 1 plug out with the basic hand tools that i brought with me so the owner and I are going to research some more to see what direction we want to take, he is even thinking of repowering the truck. he is not at all a purist he just wants it to work so he can continue to use it at his paintball fields to shuttle customers around... anyone repower one of these with a more modern gasoline power plant?

What works with the least amount of work? the owner is also going to call some engine rebuilders and see if he can get a quote for a teardown and rebuild.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Repower has been done many times. I bid on one with a 460 Ford with a ford automatic transmission once. I have also seen one with a small block Chevy and a 4 speed. There are some slight difficulties with linkages for shifting the transfer case Sprague clutch into reverse, but it can be done. If it is going to be rear wheel drive and no low range it is very simple. Your front axle Sprague clutch linkage and low range are part of your "one of a kind" automatic GM 303 transmission.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re-engine Deuce

12 years ago this 502 M211 showed up here on Steel Soldiers. All the trouble of a conversion would be so worthwhile when you imagine jumping in the truck and hearing the thump of a lumpy V-8 under the hood. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?2932-California-Hot-Rod-M211

It's a little hard to tell from the photo but it looks like the top of a compressor on the left side of the engine....so that would solve the on-board air problem.

If you're going through the engineering of changing motors, I'd do a brake upgrade to a dual system......then add line locks so you can light up the tires while waiting for your turn at the 1/4 mile.

Really hope that original block breaks loose for you because it's the fastest way to a ride in the deuce. The original 302 is still the sweetest sound at idle and about 40mph so best of luck at whatever you decide to do.

m211_engine_02_177.jpg

Jeeperjoe

I'm a fan of an original, I was just asking to see what had been done, I've got a lead on a spare engine / trans but the owner of the truck isn't sure what he wants to do yet... we shall see I guess

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you get into a rebuild, be advised the main bearings in the 302 are progressively larger in diameter from front to rear. This little detail gives you a big chance to make a mistake installing main bearings!

1944mb

Well got out there today to take a look and it wouldnt turn, so either the motor is locked up or too much compression for me to turn it over by hand, i was also unable to get all but 1 plug out with the basic hand tools that i brought with me so the owner and I are going to research some more to see what direction we want to take, he is even thinking of repowering the truck. he is not at all a purist he just wants it to work so he can continue to use it at his paintball fields to shuttle customers around... anyone repower one of these with a more modern gasoline power plant?

What works with the least amount of work? the owner is also going to call some engine rebuilders and see if he can get a quote for a teardown and rebuild.
Just curious as to what they come up with on rebuilding the engine. I've done a little research and it appeared that finding oversize pistons would be a chore. I found one company that would manufacture them-you were just looking at $1200US for a set of six! At that it would probably cheaper to have the machinist resleeve the engine, and re-use the old pistons

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks