• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 engine swap.

burton449

I have a 1952 M211 with the original GMC 302 engine in it. Has anyone out there replaced the engine with a diesel motor ?? I would like to put a diesel motor in mine and keep the original transmission. Any suggestions out there ?? Thanks!!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm just the gardener so I won't give mechanical advice. As the gardener I've seen the Detroit, Cummins and most recently the Duramax wedged above the Early Deuce pumpkin. The biggest challenge has been the upper link for the front dif that gets in the way of everything. The second challenge is width between the frame rails. The third challenge would be mating a 50's transmission to a diesel. There's that nuisance control valve on the side of the hydramatic that is throttle controlled. I don't know about mating but I am saying anything can be done as long as it's done in the garden.

I do know a fella that shaved the head on his 302 which gave him some more muscle. The original M211 is valuable in a lot of folks minds so there's always that option of selling the 211 and jumping in one of those 900 series automatics. There's a diesel / automatic match that's hard to beat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks