• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 road trip

hippiedude

Hey guy`s I have to go to Loring AFB Limestone Maine ) in a few weeks (If and when EUC comes threw :roll: ) What kind of road speed can I expect from the old girl ( 45 , 50 ) I don`t want to push it hard , I just want to give my self plenty of time to get there .... It is 540+ miles one way...I have been there before and it took about 11 hours by car...Ifigure 14 or 15 hours by M211 ( we need a sore butt smile face here ) ... Any body have any thoughts ...badgmc56 if you see this what do you get for milage out of your truck ,speed ??? thanks Tim :driver:

badgmc56

Tim, M215 is pretty much right on. I would definatly start out with a fresh oil and filter change with that kind of mileage. I always use Lucus oil additive in my GMC and in my Big Block 70 Chevelle race car. I used it in my M-37 and plowed with it for 6 years without an engine failier. A lot of guys don't like using oil additives but this one has worked great for me. Just make sure you give the truck the once over before you leave, take your time and you should be fine.I wish I could get time off, two trucks are better than one and a lot more fun. Best of luck on your trip.

nattieleather

In planning your trip figure a road speed of about 45 mph and also take into account hills. The old girls don't run up hills to well. So if the place is in a mountain area (seems like most military posts are) that may add some time to your trip also. 540+ miles trip you might give thought to doing it in two days instead of one. I don't know about you but I need to get out of my MV every couple of hours and stretch the legs and hit the potty.... :)

Good luck and keep us posted.

n1bnc

Give me a yell when you get close to Portsmouth, NH. I am not far. Somersworth is next to Berwick Maine, Rt 9. I also think a couple of days for this adventure is a good idea. I may have a couple of parts lying around from the m135 I used to have.

hippiedude

Thanks guys just is the info I needed ,offroaddiesel yes it was a GL auction back i n 12 19 07 , EUC snaffooo !! , I hope they are still there :shock: ,n1bnc thanks man I will look you up [thumbzup] I plan on giving my self 24 hours for the ride up anyway.... I have been up there twice before so I know the way ... badgmc56 might you have a napa or carquest part # for the oil filter cartrage ???? EUC hasn`t come through yet , just planing ...Thanks guys this is solid info ..... Tim

offroaddiesel

very good tim and good luck.the last time i was at limestone was to see phish, a long haul up have a good trip,if you are in the sebago area look me up . steve

hippiedude

I haven`t been able to go get the trailers yet . I have spoke to Sunny the GL rep. up there and he ask me to wate till some time in may... They have over 200 inches of snow on the ground... :shock: Lots of diffts... Tim

saddamsnightmare

April 19th, 2008.

Good luck on your trip, and now I don't feel so bad getting 10 or 11 MPG out of a diesel M35A2 at 52-55 MPH on the road with a load (light)..... But gasoline is still a little cheaper then diesel so I'll burn a mixture of things. We had a bunch of M135/211's at Wheeling Steel's Follansbee, WVa. Coke plant as barrel hauling trucks back in the 1970's, but they were never on the road, just river docks to mill, and not much for power or speed. When they wore out, they were sold for a song and I'm sure the next guy ended up scrapping them as they were throughly shot.... We paid about $150.00 a piece for them at the DRMO/Army auctions.....

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce
1967 MEP23A Hercules Gasoline Generator Set (looking for a MEP18A Generator to change it to 60C).
M105A2 Johnson Mfg Co. 1-1/2 Ton Trailer, MERDC or NATO 4 color woodland,Okla. Army NG unit.
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog Truck, S404.114 Mercedes Benz NATO Green.

williamh

topo said:
my GMC gets 4 1/2 to 5 mpg at 45 mph .

your giving me a heart attack... i get almost 10 mpg ... and i drive at red line .... 55-60 mph..... i would check the air filter, fuel mixture ...... unless your running fully loaded ...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks