• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 slim weight (on a diet)

Baradium

I did search, but I haven't found anything like this referenced.

Does anyone have a good idea how low I can get the weight of an M211 by taking components off?

We're talking single wheel, removing the bed, no top, no doors (if neccessary). The magic number is 10,000 lbs. Is it feasible?

Otherwise this truck is going to be made into a permanent RV with a camper mounted in the bed.

It doesn't matter how I get to the weight, as long as the truck is legally drivable in that condition.

I looked in one of my manuals to get these weights . You may have to strip it down to find out ?
M 211 with winch 13,580
m221 with winch 12,105 ( Tractor model)

Section8

To bad you don't have a M135. 4 less tires for weight.
Drop an axle. Lose the bed. Bob the truck. Do a modern drive train swap with a lighter engine and tranny!
Those are your best options for losing some weight. You could single out your M211 but be prepared to dish some good coin for rims to super single.
Biggest weight lose methods are to bob the truck and lose the bed. Also a modern drive train.
The old 302 and Hydromatic weight about 2500 if not more.
My 5.9L cummins engine weighs 950 pounds wet weight. The 302 is 1200 I think.
The hydro matic is almost another 1000 pounds. The transmission I was looking at either an allison MT41 or a MT 653 are about 650-750 pounds I believe.
Just my two cents.

Gunfreak25

The 302 dry with accessories is just over 700 lbs. The Hydramatic should be in the 400 range. The civi models were 325lbs but did not have the big reduction unit on the back like the Military models.

It will be tricky to make it to 10,000lbs but is doable. The bed weighs 2000, if you remove 4 rear tires that's another 780lbs, fully assembled doors weigh 80-90lbs a piece.

A full tank of fuel (gas) will be right at 400lbs with the tank weight combined.

Something to think about when you go get weighed.

Hard top weight is something like 120lbs if I remember right.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to ask, Why 10,000?

Bob it, toss the troop seats, throw the spare tire carrier, clevices and mounts, bumperetts, pintle hitch, and add an aluminum bed.
You could convert to 12 volt and get rid of 1 battery and replace the generator with a GM 1 wire alternator.

Last edited:

Baradium

I have to ask, Why 10,000?

Bob it, toss the troop seats, throw the spare tire carrier, clevices and mounts, bumperetts, pintle hitch, and add an aluminum bed.
You could convert to 12 volt and get rid of 1 battery and replace the generator with a GM 1 wire alternator.

Becuase I need to show that I can make the truck weigh 10,000 lbs or less completely "unloaded." Otherwise it has to either be registered commercially with DOT numbers and all (and associated insane fees) or I convert it to an RV. Which, ironically, will make it weigh much more than it does now, but is exempt.

It doesn't have to always be that light, I just need a weight slip showing it CAN be that light. Truck can be loaded all the time, as long as the unladen weight is under 10k

So I don't care if I have a bed at all on it, or what tires are on it singled to get the slip. But if it's going to take bobbing it or pulling an axle, I'll permanently mount my slide in camper in the bed and it'll be turned into an RV.

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is exactly why my shop van is licensed as a 20,000lb RV and the M211 is not licensed.

I'd check with my local state patrol before you get to taking it apart. There is that thing called the "intenet" of the law. You may be asking for being charged with submitting falsified documents because the weight is actually more when you get pulled over. It is hard to "unload" the bed on the side of the road when they make you run it over a portable scale and it weighs in at 13k. Then with the bed off, you get ticketed for no mudflaps. Also, I'd question if a slide-in camper makes it an RV in your state. I tried and could not get away with it here. Also check into the DOT numbers, you won't be interstate commerce. Does Alaske have any collector or hobby plates?

Check the Forum to see what other Alaskans are doing.

Good luck

Dan

nattieleather

I've been in this hobby for 28 years. I have never heard of any Duce having to be commercial licensed because of weight. Mostly has to do with the brakes and since it's air over hydrolic and not strick air brakes the trucks are usually exempt from commercial status. That's been my experience anyway. I agree with hendersond check your laws to make sure your not having to major modify the truck.

Baradium

That is exactly why my shop van is licensed as a 20,000lb RV and the M211 is not licensed.

I'd check with my local state patrol before you get to taking it apart. There is that thing called the "intenet" of the law. You may be asking for being charged with submitting falsified documents because the weight is actually more when you get pulled over. It is hard to "unload" the bed on the side of the road when they make you run it over a portable scale and it weighs in at 13k. Then with the bed off, you get ticketed for no mudflaps. Also, I'd question if a slide-in camper makes it an RV in your state. I tried and could not get away with it here. Also check into the DOT numbers, you won't be interstate commerce. Does Alaske have any collector or hobby plates?

Check the Forum to see what other Alaskans are doing.

Good luck

Dan
The DOT is who told me to do it. They told me I need a weight slip specific to that truck and to keep it with me and it would take care of any questions.

I did run into a guy with a duece registered as an RV, with a cot in it under the canopy. I'm not really sold on this method myself, it is nowhere near the actual requirements listed for an RV conversion.

I'll get into the slide in camper part below.

I've been in this hobby for 28 years. I have never heard of any Duce having to be commercial licensed because of weight. Mostly has to do with the brakes and since it's air over hydrolic and not strick air brakes the trucks are usually exempt from commercial status. That's been my experience anyway. I agree with hendersond check your laws to make sure your not having to major modify the truck.
It's an Alaska specific thing. Brakes don't matter, only dry weight.

Why not run Historic plates-Alaska does have them?
Because then you can only drive the vehicle in a parade, to or from a parade, or for maintenance to prepare for a parade. I don't want that kind of limitation. If I have the bed, I'd like to be able to actually haul something every once in a while. You are specifically forbidden from doing this with the historic plates.

As far as the slide in camper goes, the RV conversion has a number of specific items that need to be done. I do not intend on mounting the slide in camper in the standard tempoerary way. It will be put in and bolted directly through the bed of the truck, the plumbing will go through the floor and electrical wiring and plumbing will be added to the truck itself. There is a checklist that you are requied to sign and submit to the state. The vehicle does not need to be specifically inspected, but it needs to be

Here is the state website detailing the commercial vehicle requirements:
Commercial Vehicles, Heavy Use Tax & PRISM Program Information

Note that the first section in part defines any vehicle over 10,000 lbs as a "commercial vehicle" in addition to the general definition. Then you get to this:
You will need the following items in order to renew a commercial vehicle with an empty weight of 8,000 pounds or above:
  • US DOT Number
  • Tax Identification Number (TIN)
  • Number of Axles
  • Information as to whether or not the carrier responsible for safety is expected to change during the registration period.
Here is the part regarding motor home conversions:

Reconstructed Vehicles

I can use an "attached" unit, as long as I make it a "permanent" attachment. Basically, it just can't be easy to deconvert. Anything *can* be deconverted with enough work, the goal is to make sure it's not something you're going to be doing in an afternoon.

Keep in mind that the owner is the one signing off that the conversion is completed. There is no requirement for an inspection by the state. Getting pulled over with a flatbed truck registerd as an RV would likely not go over well. Having a camper bolted to a truck is actually fairly common here. Again the key is that it not be set up to take it out easily.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks