• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M215/m221 build

nattieleather

I'm a little confused here. Are you restoring the truck to a tractor with 5th wheel or are you converting it to something else? I'm wondering why your removing all the tractor stuff off if the truck?

Gunfreak25

I am not sure, but it sounds like he was unhappy with how the previous owner mounted the 5th wheel, so he is remounting it.

I forgot to add, Blizzard. You said the search function for the forum was not working. I do not use it myself. Instead, use google. I use it daily and find it is a lightening fast way to find what I am looking for on any website or forum. For example, go to google and type in: M211 engine swap site:steelsoldiers.com, or 6.2 in M211 site:dieselplace.com, etc.

I prefer it over any forum search feature. I have a black belt in google fu. :beer:

blizzardwarrior7

I didn't like the way the old 5th wheel was attached at all, if you look back at some of the pictures you will get a sense of why. Also since I am repainting the truck I'm taking every single piece off degreasing and sandblasting all of it first instead of just blasting it with paint which is what was done when it was painted red. I plan on making a few changes like adding some carpeting to the walls and ceiling in the truck, adding air ride seats, a dual 5" stack exhaust system, alot more tool boxes, ad probably a rear mounted winch setup and small generator as well. I've already added the ball hitch receiver will be installing a new pintle and a hideaway gooseneck so I can use the truck to tow virtually any trailer. Short work day today, drilled the other 2 holes for the hitch and mounted it, painted the inside of the drivers door, and did some more grinding. Picked up alot of gear oil so this week plan on doing the seals and changing fluids in the axles.

Used the half inch drive impact gun and it wouldn't budge the lugs either today, so looks like I will have to hookup the big compressor to run the 1" impact later this week.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Wow, you must be retired! Working on it every day like that. :D Are you going to do carpet or padded vinyl? I will be doing the same, but can't decide on what to use. I think the short nap gray carpet looks really nice. Whichever one of us gets around to doing it first, a tracing of the floor on a large sheet of paper would be nice for other members to use.

blizzardwarrior7

I'm going to use black padded vinyl. I'm also spraying rubberized undercoating on the bottom of the truck....I'm keeping the floor bare metal though, cause I just like the look of it. I will be making my own diamond plate "floormats" with rubber coating though. Not retired, just self employed and waiting to ship to bct for the army, in the mean time I bought myself this truck to keep me busy, I've got til Feb 14th 2012 till I leave and I want it done by than.

nattieleather

Ok I understand now. It's your truck and by all means do to it as you see fit. I would just like to point out that I've been in the hobby for almost 30 years now and I've only seen one M221 and that wasn't restored. I don't ever recall seeing one that was restored. I understand yours started life as a M215, but if you were to restore it as a M221 and not modify it but make it correct I believe (and I could be wrong) that the rareness of the truck would make it worth a lot more money than a modified truck. Again I am not pooing on your plans and hope it all works out well for you. I just wanted to point that out to you.

blizzardwarrior7

Ok I understand now. It's your truck and by all means do to it as you see fit. I would just like to point out that I've been in the hobby for almost 30 years now and I've only seen one M221 and that wasn't restored. I don't ever recall seeing one that was restored. I understand yours started life as a M215, but if you were to restore it as a M221 and not modify it but make it correct I believe (and I could be wrong) that the rareness of the truck would make it worth a lot more money than a modified truck. Again I am not pooing on your plans and hope it all works out well for you. I just wanted to point that out to you.
Correct, it would be worth more money to a COLLECTOR if it was restored as an M221. But how about to the average person looking for a cool truck? I would much rather buy a truck that had a few creature comforts, more power, and more utility to it but while retaining its original military look to it than a bone stock m215 if it was done well. The hope is to do everything well enough that it shouldnt look to much different than it should, and it may even look better. Anyway, if I wanted to make money off of a restored truck, I wouldnt be restoring a GMC. I cant imagine a restored m221 bringing that much money though in all honesty.

blizzardwarrior7

Sorry for not posting any new pics, I have still been working and taking a few new ones though so I will get them up tommorow. Today fiddles with the Carb for most of the day and did some grinding and sanding. Also managed to break 2 lugnuts loose! But they are on the front wheel not the back ones.