• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M246 Project resurrection

ROARKY

Purveyor of rusty iron
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Long time lurker, I recently had a m246 carcass drug home the woods. It is mostly complete but it missing some very important parts. From what I can tell, it is missing the transmission (6352) it’s a gasser, the front drive shaft, and driveshaft between the transmission and transfer case as well as the drive shaft between the transfercase and forward tandem. It is also missing the transmission inspection cover.

i have read that there is a special bell housing and clutch for the wreckers, so before I go and gather parts can anyone point me in the right direction? I have read through several TM’s and have searched awhile before posting here. I will try and get photos of what I am dealing with but for now, here is the truck!

78D6E45C-ADB9-440B-8D67-ED0D8EDF67DD.jpeg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
15 posts in and you already bought a wrecker....nice!.....You have the infliction and should probably wear a mask or an entire fleet will show up. Is that the 6602 continental gasser? It's a beaut! I believe we have the same carb so I'll have kits/parts/seals and complete carbs if you don't find it closer. The wheelbase is supposed to be 'extra long' but it looks extra extra read all about it long. We're looking for 242" from front wheel to back wheel. More pictures will tell more stories. Finding a parts truck will be in the plan for you as it is for all of us.

I have some parts manuals so if you're not finding the list of part numbers and sizes I'll dig on the next rain day. The wrecker guru's will pop in for parts suggestions because we all want to go for a ride......now that we've seen it.

The lube chart alone will keep a guy busy. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/tms-for-the-809-series-5-ton.77616/

These guys are a wealth of info https://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_wrecker_m246.php

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow never on this site has there been TWO M246 rescues going on at the same time. Good luck with it. The parts you need are not anything hard to find. The M246A1, A2 and the M819 used the same jackshaft and rear driveshaft. (verify) You can use an overdrive transmission if you want from these later trucks as well. All the usual sources should have these parts such as SECO, Memphis Equipment, Eastern, Red River Parts, Sam Winer Motors.

ROARKY

Purveyor of rusty iron
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you all, yeah I just had reacued a really toasty m108 that is good for the crane body and drive train when I found this. I’m going to take some pictures of whats missing. First thing in order is for me to get the 6602 checked out snd see if she will fire after I give it a basic service.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing on these to put in your memory bank, the hydraulics on the boom is stronger than the boom and shipper and both WILL BEND if you overload the crane.

ROARKY

Purveyor of rusty iron
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That’s good to know for sure. I plan on using this one to move around logs for our log home we are planning to build.

ROARKY

Purveyor of rusty iron
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked over the drivetrain area and had a question, will the clutch, transmission, jack shaft and drive shafts from other 5 ton wreckers work? Can any of these parts come from other 5 tons? I know the transmission is common but the wrecker has a front winch so the pto would be needed. I would also imagine that the m246 would have a longer transfercase to forward tandem propeller shaft due to the wheelbase being longer. I also saw in the TM that there is a rotochamber that mounts to the transmission. I read a post that a brake chamber could possibly be modified for this application but did not find any further information. I will try and get photos of my big hole where everything should be this weekend. I do have a question about where the propeller shafts connect as it appears someone has welded on a single bar across the face plate for whatever reason (demil)? Any further help would be appreciated. I am not one to say sorry for all of the questions because I am learning, hopefully others will as well!

ROARKY

Purveyor of rusty iron
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are the results from today’s pictures: I was very pleased to find the transmission tunnel covers in the cab. However, from the photos you can see it is missing some items. I do have the transmission mounts it appears as well. The crane controls are frozen at the moment. The motor started to turn by hand so I’m going to continue to check it out. If it is frozen up, I will most likely just acquire a new motor, tranny and driveshafts from a different truck. Have to sell two of my projects before I do that though.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks OK. Make sure you tell anyone you have looking for your driveshafts that your truck is equipped with "mechanics" type u-joints. I see a siren under the hood, the Jeep guys go nuts for those. If the 6602 spins over it will run. That is a great engine.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a second to stumble into the barn today and the first book I grabbed has a section . . . . ."How to Locate Repair Parts". That's always handy. Here are a few snap shots.

P5301348.JPGP5301344.JPG

P5301347.JPGP5301346.JPGP5301345.JPG

P5301351.JPGP5301352.JPGP5301353.JPG

Attachments

ROARKY

Purveyor of rusty iron
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks so much! Yeah I had noticed the siren too, was pleasantly surprised! The pages will help a lot. It will be a little while before I start really tearing in. I bought a m62a1 some time ago and haven’t gotten it home yet. It runs and works so it will be my main moving horse.

ROARKY

Purveyor of rusty iron
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally found the rotochamber thread. It looks like a type 9 brake chamber with the single bolt hanger will work for the rotochamber. I looked at NAPA but could only find the double bolt style. Anyone have a good source or link for one?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Are you sure you need the rotochamber for the m246? I don't see a reason why it would have one as there's no rear winch like the other wreckers.

ROARKY

Purveyor of rusty iron
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure you need the rotochamber for the m246? I don't see a reason why it would have one as there's no rear winch like the other wreckers.
I had read that all of them had it. I am going to reread the TM and see if maybe I am getting forum and TM information confused.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks