• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M246 Wrecker spark plug help

sargent43

Hello all, we recently rebuilt the carter 750 cfm competition carb for our 5 ton Wrecker and wanted to replace the plugs before we get her dialed in. After taking off the steel braided line to a plug we realized you can't remove it with a wrench and a deep well socket is too shallow, any ideas?

sargent43

After some experimenting we got a plug out, a 21mm fits it. It requires an extra deep socket, its just over 2 1/4 inches to get the socket on it. Which is deeper then a spark plug socket and deep well impact sockets 😧. Any advice or suggestions before I order an extra deep socket?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
use the open box bent wrench made for the task, works real well, a 3/4 open box bent wrench works great to remove the plug wires from the distributor, if you own a 6602, these two wenches ARE mandatory

sargent43

I figured it has to be something special any idea where I could track one down? Disconnecting them from the distributor isn't what I'm after, just yet. How do you get the spark plugs out?

Last edited:

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A normal deep well socket out of a deep well 1/2 drive that maintains its inside diameter all the way to the drive square has always worked for us for all of our military shielded plugs. Impact socket is too thick. Go to Lowes, Menards, NAPA and look for a deep well that maintains the inside diameter all the way down. Take a plug along and try them.