• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M250 Cannon Carrier * Needs Rescued

5tonpuller

Some people are just in love with there stuff. ( junk ) If they can not sell it for what they want then no one will ever have it. What a waste. Ran into many people like this. The yard is FULL of stuff but nothing is for sale.:roll:

Lonesome715

That is what I was thinking. I sent the sales link to my wife. She and I were trying to figure out a use for that vehicle so we could get it. But $20,000 is way too much.

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have about hit the nail on the head with Winer Motors, They are nice people for the most part, but they will not part with anything at a reasonable price, and "donation", don't even think about it. They have two M123 10 tonner's for 20,000 each, there is a Sherman and a Sherman Recovery vehicle sitting there sinking into the ground, NOT FOR SALE, will 'donate' for a price...... There is a nice little M-3 tank sitting almost to her hull bottom in the dirt, a few high speed tractor carcasses and some Mack prime movers. All too much, so they'll all get scrapped in the end, instead of making a reasonable profit and seeing it restored. We offered to restore the "recovery" vehicle for display at the Ohio Veterans Home Museum in Sandusky, Ohio, prominently giving them credit as an "on loan" vehicle, NOPE.... "Maybe if the right price was on it too" we were told.

Lonesome715

That is truly sad to hear. It is a shame nobaody can do anything about it. It is their right to do with the equipment as they please. I just wonder why some people are like that.

steelandcanvas

You have about hit the nail on the head with Winer Motors, They are nice people for the most part, but they will not part with anything at a reasonable price, and "donation", don't even think about it. They have two M123 10 tonner's for 20,000 each, there is a Sherman and a Sherman Recovery vehicle sitting there sinking into the ground, NOT FOR SALE, will 'donate' for a price...... There is a nice little M-3 tank sitting almost to her hull bottom in the dirt, a few high speed tractor carcasses and some Mack prime movers. All too much, so they'll all get scrapped in the end, instead of making a reasonable profit and seeing it restored. We offered to restore the "recovery" vehicle for display at the Ohio Veterans Home Museum in Sandusky, Ohio, prominently giving them credit as an "on loan" vehicle, NOPE.... "Maybe if the right price was on it too" we were told.

Screw 'em, let 'em have their scrap money. After reading this thread, I don't think I'll be buying anything from Sam Weiner again.

steelandcanvas

They may get thier scrap money, but it us we and future generations that lose out.

I am in total agreement with you. I just can't understand the mentallity of it. I once knew a Gal whose Husband had passed away about 10 years previous. He had a few cool classic cars, that were just setting there in a crumby barn rotting away. The birds were using them as a latrine, and the cats were having their litters in them. It was a total shame. I asked her if she would be interested in selling any of them, offering her fair market value for the condition they were in. She responded with "I don't think my Husband would want me to part with them". I told her even though I had never met her Husband, I think he would rather see them running and restored, as opposed to the rotting away in the barn. Funny the way people are, keeping something for rememberance, letting the elements destroy it, instead of honoring the deceased by selling the vehicles for restoral.

Lonesome715

I agree with that. I went through it with my mother when my dad died. I would rather have seen his posessions go to people who whould have put them to good use.

randyscycle

It saddens me everytime I hear one of these stories.

Near me, there is a guy with a field full of stuff, that will rot into the earth before he will ever part with any of it. He refuses to put a price (even a high one) on anything he has, and won't even cover any of it up. In his "collection" there is a rotting M211, and a flatfender, along with a lot of other vehicles scattered, and slowly deteriorating. His thought is that "someday it will be worth more" but in fact, it is becoming worth less every day it sits there and melts.

I think that folks like that generally aren't exactly doing this for any reason other than if they can't have it, no one else will either. I even had one guy tell me once that a truck I wanted to buy would "rot before he'd sell it." He then went on to say that he didn't have the $$$ to fix it up, and as such no one else would have the pleasure either. Guess its a bit of a mental issue.

Crazyguyla

That picture looks like it was taken at Aberdeen.
That is the one at Aberdeen, drive by it every morning going to work :) Last I read, the Ordnance Museum is starting the moving in 2 yrs and not everything is going to be moved. The M250 here is looking rough.

JohnnyReb

I think it is more of the reasoning that some people don't want to "get taken"..... meaning they did not get every penny of value out of an item. If you buy it and restore it and make money, then they got taken. However, if it sold for scrap then they are getting market price of the scrap metal and no one downstream is getting a steal.

I have bought heavy equipment this way: See an old dozer or skidder in a field and request a price. The fellow will ask what I intend to do with it and I tell him that I am going to get it running to use....... Almost everytime, it ain't for sale or the price is too high.
6 months later, if the machine is still there, I will have a friend in the scrap metal business stop by and offer to buy it for scrap price. It is insane, but about 30% of the time he will buy it and for less than quoted to me!!! By golly, the seller shows that other fella that no one is going to take advantage of them!!!:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks