• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M270 Gets New Shoes!

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a chance to change out tires on a M270 Aircraft Recovery Trailer I rescued from a local house moving company down in the Mississippi delta this week. The six hour trip there was long but uneventful, I had two of my brothers accompany me! Even with a one inch air wrench it took a while to loosen the nuts! But we got it done in about 4 hours, mainly waiting on my two gallon compressor to support the air gun! All of the hubs spun smooth and free so hopeful the 350 mile trip to NW Arkansas in a month or so will go smoothly as well. I did have two lugs cross threaded by the prior owner so I will need to research by options on repairing them.

DSCN0448.jpgDSCN0446.jpgDSCN0452.jpgDSCN0456.jpgDSCN0468.jpgDSCN0465.jpg

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice, airbrake axles. I recognize the 11.00-20's with overspray, RRAD CARC specials.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, I got 40 of them for $500, hard to beat since I have two more trailers that need them! I am curious about the rear lights, all the cutouts are round? Photos would be appreciated!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, round holes are as delivered. The outer holes are for civi red lollipop style, the inners are for first generation military lamp-units, stop on left and blackout stop on the right. Trailer has a 12 and 24 volt light circuit.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a couple of harnesses off of M105 trailers I plan on adapting to replace the missing system on the trailer. It looks like the air brakes have not been used in a couple of decades so there may be a little work needed there as well!SAM_0124.jpgSAM_0115.jpgSAM_0094.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For sure you will need to replace the brake chambers and maybe the slacks, should be a direct swap to something new/commercially available. The dogbone rubber bushings on mine were shot.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once I get to where I can actually work on it I plan on giving it a good going over. It has has a long life, between military service and house moving it was the property of PanAm airways!SAM_0103.jpg

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For sure you will need to replace the brake chambers and maybe the slacks, should be a direct swap to something new/commercially available...
If there is room, might as well upgrade to spring brakes as well.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who would be a good resource for the conversion, I like the spring brake addition, it is hilly here! Would the brake manufacturer or would NAPA have a resource as to what would fit/work?

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who would be a good resource for the conversion, I like the spring brake addition, it is hilly here! Would the brake manufacturer or would NAPA have a resource as to what would fit/work?
I know half the time you go looking for advice from manufacturers, you either can't find anybody that knows what you're asking or if you do, they won't really cooperate if they know you're altering something from the stock configuration. Not always, but sometimes you do run into these people.

I'm not really sure where to point you, but I would read up on trailer air brake systems. Its possible that you can find out which service brake canisters are on it now and find a spring brake version of the same thing. I would guess you would need at least one, if not two different valves. If the air system is all crusty and needs replacing anyhow, you have the opportunity to spend maybe just a bit more and make it spring brake equipped.

I have never messed with air brake trailers that do not have spring brakes, but I would suspect this M270 has an emergency gladhand, so it has some mechanism to function in an emergency break-away situation. This is likely different than how a spring brake equipped trailer functions in regard to its emergency break-away braking function. I think that if you were to look at the air brake system on tandem axle trailers with similar GVWR, you would find that they are all arranged in a similar manner.

Sam Winer Motors ( 330-628-4881) I bought from them when rebuilding my m-269 also made in 1954 by Pressed steel Car Company . The hubs heaver then a regular 5 ton be careful when removing . I replaced the brake pods with new type 30 . At the time I thought the taller spring brake pods may hit the frame when the suspension moved up and down . with no air leaks the brakes will hold for a week .This brake set up also has adjustment at the rear of the shoe like that on a 5 ton . I tried to get the shoes relined and no one around here would do the job at the time the shoes I bought from Sam Winer Where $ 100 each . Technical Manual # 9-8240

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's my tail lights. Clearly they're the older style with 3 total cut outs, one for the blackout light on the right. The ones below are 12v added by the military as this thing was only recently surplussed. I'd have more photos posted but the SS site uploader is being problematic. I hope this helps!

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it takes 2 of the regular 4 inch civilian 12v truck lights, 2 of the older round military taillights, and the small military black out fixture like on the older m101/ m105's