• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M270A1 Fort Dix NJ to GA

sterlun

Hey guys I'm looking for some help recovering my M270A1 at Fort Dix, NJ. Need to get it to North GA or as close as possible. I just really don't want to drive the 818 all the way to NJ. EUC is already cleared so it has to be moved before May 30th. Please help!

sandcobra164

If your M818 is road ready to go roughly 790 miles each way, I'll dance with ya. You'd be talking roughly 31.6 hours of straight driving with no stops which won't likely happen (figuring 50 mph.) You'd have to cover fuel, time and 2 hotel stops for that trip if you'd like me to do it. More logical would be to have someone near NJ recover it and make sure the brakes work, tires aren't rotted and bearings are cool, then get a trucker with no load or ideally no trailer to hook to it and pull it down. I'm open this weekend if you'd like your M818 to go up that way. I've got an M818 to work on for another person but he's being slow on payment, I'll take on other odd jobs.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You can check with USHIP and see if you can find a "Power only" unit (bob tail tractor) headed from up there to your place......you may acually pay more for a power only unit.

That trailer has no hookup for a civy tractor to operate the lights.....the tractor would have to have tow lights that will reach all the way to the back of the trailer.

The tractor would also have to have a sliding 5th wheel......if i remember correctly the kingpin on that trailer is set pretty far back.....may have turning issues unless the tractor can clear the landing gear when turning.

The trailer could be hauled on a 53 foot stepdeck if there was any way to load it on the top end.

sterlun

Yeah I have it posted on Uship now. I didn't know that about the 5th wheel clearance issues, thanks. The loading part on the stepdeck is what gets expensive. I doubt Dix will do that for me.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take plenty of money for the toll booths- Extra axles will kill you. My 814 towing a pickup truck was almost 75.00 dollars in tolls southbound from fort dix.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I was going to say that the 270 is meant to be pulled by a 246/819, these 5th wheels are way up there, takes a LONG goose neck,

sterlun

Thanks for all the input guys. I found a guy on Uship that's bringing it to me with a civy tractor. He has transporter tags and a light-bar (not to mention insurance) so I guess that'll work. More than I wanted to pay but less than it would cost me to do it in the 818.

The messes I get into....:cookoo:

sterlun

Yes it was. I booked the deal Monday, they picked up Tuesday, they delivered this morning at 7am, and they're on their way to FL now. Vroom Vroom.