• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M275 made it home!

HELLRIDER

Hi, everyone! Thank you for all the replies, and comments on CDL questions. We made it from Ohio to Connecticut! Got home at 3am this morning. This was the first long distance drive for me in this kind of truck! I didn't set out to drive it back this weekend, but thought why not. We did have some issues, and i have to say a special thank you to 11Echo! He was in contact with me for the entire trip! He spent a lot of time on the computer, and found a Napa close to where I was. The truck was running strong, until after the the first fuel up. It felt like it was loosing a cylinder...like a misfire. Then it progressively got worse, and lost a ton of power. After cleaning the filters on the road, we made it to a hotel and stayed for the night. We went to Napa in the morning, and got new filters, and some additive. We also put in a quart of transmission fluid. It was better, but not the same as it was. That slowed us down a lot!!!! Finally, made it to a truck stop, and I bought some Lucas diesel injector cleaner/additive. It took about two hours, and the power started to come back! Once we made it to PA, it was running strong, and I pushed all the was home, stopping only for fuel, fluid checks, ect, and to give my right leg a break! All in all...it was a HELLRIDE..... but it was worth it! I brought my 18 year old nephew, and it was a great experience for him! We passed only one weigh station that was open. No problems. Saw about a dozen state troopers, no problems! We had one trooper look the truck over at a gas station, and he questioned the CDL... Thanks to" bellyacre"..i gave the trooper the facts, and he checked it out, and no problem! :) I was asked by the trooper, if I served in the military, and I said no. My father was a master sgt. in the Army. He was very nice, and I was very respectful.
I don't know much about these trucks, except that I like them, and I'm learning. Thanks again!!

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was that truck ever blue or white? What color seats? Also what model is the XM trailer. I may know some of the history on both.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool truck, glad you got it home, albeit with a few extra stops.

What are those boxes on the front of the trailer, AC units?

Monkeyboyarmy

Wait a minute.....let me get a pen. OK now tell me what you told the trooper about the CDL.:popcorn: Looks like I am going to have to put a winch on my 275.

Greg.....talked to you sunday night about filters. Glad everything worked out. Nice combo there![thumbzup]

HELLRIDER

Hi, Greg!!! Thanks for looking out for us! Ok, When the trooper asked me for my CDL, I told him, I don't have one. Then I said...I don't need one, because the combined weight is under 26001 lbs. He questioned the air brakes. I told him the primary brakes are hydraulic, and only has air assist. He looked under the trailer, and said....if I didn't see it, I would have thought you were lying! He looked at the data plates...went to his car to run my license. When he came back, he said I was right...I don't need a CDL to drive this truck. In any event, I was a happy camper!!!!!!;-)

HELLRIDER

Hi, Ray! I could't get my phone to give me GPS speed. Just getting used to the new phone. I did get clocked by a radar sign, just before construction, at 59 without pushing it. [thumbzup] I know it went faster down hill, getting a run on the uphills. I ran it it where I thought the motor was happy, but didn't try to kill it! :whistle:

HELLRIDER

Hi, wreckerman893! I have to tell you....It crossed my mind..more than once, to lose the trailer! I just couldn't do it! :cookoo: I could have found an easier to drive truck and trailer, to move our shop equipment (Sold the shop property) but what a cool truck to have! Plus, I found out..if I didn't buy it...it was headed for the scrap yard!!!! So even though it was a long ride back, I had plenty of time to think about all the young men that had been involved in building, or being in service with it. It's awesome to think it was built and in active service...before I was born! I couldn't see that after surviving 49 years, to end up as scrap metal! This m275 showed it still has the muscle to run over 700 miles!!!!! AWESOME! [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks