• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M275? What will it cost me? Pictures

NoLeftTurns

I'm a newbie, and I don't own any mv's yet. I came across a private party who owns a deuce and obviously became interested. We came to an agreement on a price based on my interest, but now I need to know what I'm looking at. I thought it was an m109 but the plate says m275. Does any one have any specific info on these? I did a basic search and didn't see a lot. There is also a troop bed like the m35 has sitting in the field nearby. I am trying to figure out how to restore the truck to a driving condition. Two front flats, and dry rot in rear tires. Needs new batteries, I'm sure filters and fuel replaced. I know the belts looked worn. The truck has been sitting for about 3 years. Good news is it isn't going anywhere and there are two spare tires in the back in good condition and possibly one or two more in a shed in good condition. What might I expect it to cost for the basic recovery items? I know a lot of you have been through this many times and thought you might have an average expected cost. I'm not sure of the turbo..C or D? Any help is much appreciated.
I know some of this is covered elsewhere also, but I know you all love pictures.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd check the frame number with the data plate. Something doesn't seem right. I'm pretty sure a M275 has too short of wheelbase to install a M109 box. So, either the frame has been stretched or the data plate is wrong.

axlr8

If you want someone to help with a project next summer....pm me...looking for some small side work...or work in general....otherwise, Ive heard, check axle seals, air system, BRAKES, engine tranny and tcase, uhh good tires are a must on any road, make sure your in for the condition it is in, and heck why not!!! :razz:

axlr8

ohh and the filtration system likes to be cleaned and have new filters too, along with some nice new fluids. and brake fluid is dot 5 not 3 or 5a, DOT 5!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
A M275 is a tractor with a 5th wheel......unless someone has butchered a rare truck what you have is not a M275.

The tractors had a shorter wheelbase and the van body will stick way out over the bumperettes.

It also had the fuel tank on the drivers side under the door.

This is a M275:

Attachments

KsM715

Its got an aftermarket fiberglass top.

The measurements you need are on the data plate, get a tape measure and measure the wheel base. That 109/185 box definately doesnt belong on that truck. (wheel wells dont line up) Look at the frame behind the cab to see if you can tell if it has been hacked on.

Just from the pics it doesnt look like a bad truck (with winch is a bonus) There are guys on this forum that could get that on the road for next to nothing, but those are the guys with spare parts trucks. Just a ball park figure, I would budget atleast $500 to get it running, barring and major parts failures.

dilligaf13

My question is what was wrong with it in the first place that he let it sit for three years. I'm guessing it was something costly so he never repaired it and let it sit. Looks to be in good shape though.

gunboy1656

I would bet that is a 109 with a wrong data plate put in place, if it was an original plate it would be riveted in place not screwed.

As for it sitting there could be many different reasons, from losing interest to transmission blew out.

RAYZER

looks good and a cargo bed too! Do you plan to keep it a 109 if you get it? I have a m109 data plate i'll trade you for the m275 plate.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
looks good and a cargo bed too! Do you plan to keep it a 109 if you get it? I have a m109 data plate i'll trade you for the m275 plate.
Oh Ray! Would you llike an M275A2 w/w new unstamped data plate? Your resident M275 guru has one.

There is alot going on there. The rear tires don't line up which indicates it's not a 109. If it were a 275 the tires should be closer to the front as it has a 12" shorter wheelbase. Many other differences noted by other posters. Not saying they don't exist but I've never seen a deuce released from the Gov't with riveted data plates. I could be wrong but I don't think it has a turbo, looks to be the small pipe. Really need some more pics of the truck. Take a weed wacker with you.

Last edited:

RAYZER

Looks like a sprag transfer case.
Oh Ray! Would you llike an M275A2 w/w new unstamped data plate? Your resident M275 guru has one.

Yes Kenny, I would love one for my m275 wanabe!

I think this truck just has the wrong data plate,maybe someone changed out the cab with one off a m275, wonder what happened to the rest of that m275? probably met some terable fate):

NoLeftTurns

Axlr8 - I may be taking you up on the offer come next summer. Gotcha on the dot 5. Silicone I believe?

Wrecker man - good info. It looks like the truck in your picture. What are the pressurized tanks on the passenger side? They look like the air tanks or something. The fuel tank is on the drivers side. I looked under it and it didn't seem like the frame had been cut or welded. But you can tell the box just sits on top with some wood rails underneath. Maybe custom brackets to bolt it down.

- yes fiberglass top. Are these standard on any kind of truck? Truck has some spare parts in the back. I saw a water pump and a fuel pump and wouldn't be too suprised if I found more. thanks for a ball park estimate. I am looking to get her moving again and then I will work on the details.

Dilligaf13 - it sat for three years because the owner died. Supposedly the owners spouse told me they drove it to where it sits today. Owner was a survivalist so I think it should run okay aside from things that went wrong since it's been sitting.

Rayzer- yea I want to keep her an m109 so I can make myself an off road brewing/camping rig. Nothing special but something to keep me dry and off road capable. sprag trans case? Can you expand a little? How do I tell which I have?

Recovery4x4 - I think your right on the turbo, It didn't seem to have the aluminum round housing for a turbo but I had a hard time seeing it due to the terrain. Right weed whacker.

Can someone tell me what I am looking at in my pictures in my original post? In the last one I am Seeing some cracked and broken pieces. In the second to last I see a knob of some sort? And in the third to last I think this might be a lockout for the battery or something? Any ideas?

Attachments

gunboy1656

Just my 2 cents, buy this truck and whatever else comes with it. Return the truck back to the tractor like it should be, sell that and get a good looking 109.

This setup will not be great for offroad anything as it is since the wheels won't match the wheel wells.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might just be an M275A1. Looks to have an LDS427 engine and it does have a turbo. In the sideways pic I can see the lack of a tank passenger side and the tires of the fwd axle. In it's current config its pretty odd but if you were to shorten the cargo body to 9' and install that, you would have a cool SWB truck.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like a keyed battery kill switch. I would bet it is a m275. Last pick is just dried and cracked rubber boots on the injector lines- not really a big deal- more to keep high pressure fuel from spraying everywhere and atomizing under the hood if there was a leak. The second to last, I have never seen, can't even tell where on the engine it is mounted from the closeness of the photo.

Looks like an ok rig, we will help you get her going again!:beer:

Last edited:

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a lot of potential to me! If it were me, I would try to return it to stock. THere are plenty 109s out there, but not many M275s.

2cents

KsM715

Dilligaf13 - it sat for three years because the owner died. Supposedly the owners spouse told me they drove it to where it sits today. Owner was a survivalist so I think it should run okay aside from things that went wrong since it's been sitting.

Can someone tell me what I am looking at in my pictures in my original post? In the last one I am Seeing some cracked and broken pieces. In the second to last I see a knob of some sort? And in the third to last I think this might be a lockout for the battery or something? Any ideas?

He wasn't a very good survivalist was he. (sorry I thought it was funny)

Buy that on the condition that you get everything in the back. I bet theres some real goodies in there.

The pressure tanks you mentioned are the air tanks. The rest has already been covered.

Go download a -10 Tech Manual and start reading. It will tell you everything you want to know about knobs and switches and tanks and such on that truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks