• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M29/M29C. Worth the time?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
weasel7.jpgwaesel3.jpgweasel1.jpgLast week I took a little vacation up north to visit some family. While I was there, a lady at a farm about a mile up the road called and had a water leak and asked if we could look at it. Turned out to be an issue with the supply pipe from the wellhead to the manifold, lots of digging involved, backhoe use, etc. Fun stuff! After we uncovered the pipes, we noted there was 2 pipes running in the same direction, I went out into the field to the north to see if there was a hose bib out that way, there was a few, 160 acres needs water! While out there I was something that caught my eye and went to take a look. I know it aint right to root around someones stuff, so I kinda felt bad, but, I know she is going to liquidate some things on the farm because she just lost her husband of 50 years. He was a real nice guy. What I found was a tracked vehicle, an M29 or M29C. I went back to the job area and asked my uncle about it. He asked if I liked that, I said yes, it is a cool little carrier. He said he knew of another one and motioned to go this way. Around the corner was a second one! I kinda dropped it and went back to work. Later during the week, I was asked if I was interested in the vehicles. Was told they have been sitting in the same spot for years and, she was kicking around the idea of just giving them to me. We fixed the water issue for free, she only paid for material.

Before I pull the trigger and say yes to these, it is a 700 mile one way trip for me, How tough is it to find parts for these? Parts like the engine covers, seats and such. I did some research and only came up with M29C weasel forum, but not too much help in the way of parts. Both have complete tracks, one looks to be in very good shape, the other a bit worn. Both have all the road wheels, in tact drive train and engines. I did not look at/for fuel tanks, didn't know where they were at the time and didn't have too much time to look what with the work needing to be done.

Al Harvey

I saw that TNJ has a few parts for the Weasel, others on here probably have some good sources for parts. Personally I'd jump on the deal. You will have two of them, so worse case scenario you should be able to build at least one. But then again I am sorta a MV hoarder so my opinion might be biased. LOL Good luck with recovery if you decide to go that route, if not, here's to hope that they don't get scraped!!!

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another plus is that the Museum has one and it is sans track, so, parts from the rusted out one can be used to make that one a runner :beer:
Maybe make 2 runners out of these two.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw that forum whilst searching for info on them....not too much info, but a good starting place. Still looking for info on them, the Museum might have some TMs in the library that I can browse through

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will I would be on this one pretty quick! I am going to guess unless word gets out to other people who know what this is its potentially going to go pretty cheap. In looking at it there is definitely a fair amount of work to be done which is of course all doable and there are brand new tracks available for purchase (although a little pricey) the main thing I would look out for is that status of the hull itself, in other words what is the rust situation? Yes we can fix rust to a point but the biggest demise to the M29 was rust on the hull, like everything else be fully aware of what your getting yourself into. With that said check out what these units are selling for (its a lot) and if you can get it at the right price and dont want to do the work on it you could probable turn it pretty fast to somebody who would love the chance to get one! They are NOT exactly growing on trees anymore! The Studebaker 6 cyl. engine in these was pretty bullet proof and parts are still pretty darned available it could be a pretty darned neat project Will!
Karl

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a quick look for rust. The one in the field is pretty clean, small amt of rust pits, no big cancer spots that I saw. The one in the first set of pics up under the tree is a rust bucket. The upper part of the hull is rusted out, that's why it looks like it is leaning. All the suspension is there as is the drivetrain. Both have engines, the one in the field was weatherproofed at one time, but it has been sitting and the cover over the carb is rotting away. Engine/trans stuff I am not afraid of, I can do that, it's the body pieces I am worried about. Guess if it comes down to it, I could part things out for the good of the hobby. No too many parts still out there from what I have found.

715m29

Just looking at your pictures of the tracks they look ok. They look a lot better than what we started out with. That was a major problem we had with our weasel. Our tracks spent a lot time buried in the dirt and pine needles and ended up to rusty to use. Aftermarket options are expensive at 6k to 8k if I remember off the top of my head. My brother and I are building our own track using elevator belting that’s a more affordable option. It’s been a fun project so far. The rust you have looks familiar, I’m lucky my brother is handy with metal. I can't wait for the first day it can be driven. One weasel is going to be powered with an OHV Ford 6 and a C4. The other will have Studebaker power. Some day in the future it will go up to the local ski area and enjoy a fun day in the snow with the family, that’s the plan anyway. If you decide to part them out keep me in mind we are restoring two m29c weasels and are always looking for parts.
Thanks for posting the pictures It’s always good to look at the other weasels out there. Maybe someday we will see those up and running.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My rule of thumb is, if it's free, get it. You'll be a little out of gas money doing the 1400 mile round trip but well worth it.

Plus, we can make fun of you saying they would make cute little wheel chocks for Patracy's M114. :D

SteveKuhn

There's one in all white that shows up periodically at the Redball/MTA picnic, and there were several nice ones (2 - 3?) at Gilbert last year. You might inquire for contacts, parts, leads, and info through the Redball website, www.RedballOnline.org. I think that's also Bob Rubino's club and I suspect he's been in on some of the restorations. Seems like a great opportunity for you. Best of luck.

Steve

turnkey

Free is Free, go get them...If nothing else you got parts ...As they say at KFC..parts is parts.no matter what kind of sauce you put on it.