• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M2A1 half track questions

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am looking at one running White(?) M2A1 half track with winch. It is rough but was running a year ago, drive train is complete. Rear armor is missing, windshield and a bunch of other stuff is "farmerized" . Owner also has a couple of parts M2A1's that have been stripped of a lot of parts, trans-diff-track stuff is intact on one and that plus an engine on the other one. My experience has been M38A1, M37, M35A2. These are located in very remote country, at least 8 hours from any large urban area, so for most folks this would add considerably to the cost. Can anyone clue me in to what kind of prices a rough half track like this might be bringing around the country. IMG_1219.jpgIMG_1221.jpgIMG_1222.jpgIMG_1223.jpgIMG_1226.jpgIMG_1229.jpgIMG_1231.jpgIMG_1219.jpgIMG_1221.jpgIMG_1222.jpgIMG_1223.jpgIMG_1226.jpgIMG_1229.jpgIMG_1231.jpg

AZDeuce

That is a M3 or M3A1 NOT a M2A1 you can tell by the rear picture. That is in VERY reasonable shape for a farmers HT, what's left of it is in very good condition the tracks are over $3000.00 and appear in very good condition, those are the original doors, too bad they cut them down, but that's fixable, if you could get that at any price under $5000 you would be doing good, if you could get it for less than the price of the tracks you'd be doing GREAT. Most people start with a LOT LESS and think they're lucky. Buy this, and take it home and start studying about halftracks, and look at lot's of period correct photos for details. Do not go off of other peoples restored halftracks because I've seen a lot of improper "restorations." I've done a frame up restoration on a M3A1, almost 25-30 years ago, and if this was near me I'd be trying to figure out how to buy it. It's a great starting point. There is replica armor and new and original parts for them. Get on Google and type in "halftrack parts" and you should be able to find everything you need.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More pictures of parts half tracks

IMG_1205.jpgIMG_1236.jpgIMG_1237.jpgIMG_1238.jpgI could not read the data plate on the green one (the one that ran last year) but one of the parts trucks had the data plate that said M2A1. I will try to attach another picture. I must be deranged, but it sure looks like a fun project!

PaFarmer

Check out g503.com and halftrack info.com. There is a good bit of value there. Could be rebuilt, parts can be hard to get and expensive.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be a M16 as well. You need quite a few parts from the parts track, someone installed an instrument panel from what looks like a International halftrack, cutting the dash in the process. If you could score the good unit plus picking rights on the parts tracks for 2 grand, you would be sitting pretty.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree that $5k is reasonable if the donors go with it. I'd buy them at that price.

Special T

Pretty rare rigs in the PNW I belive there are only 4 restored ones in private hands in Washington. It appears there is quite a line of people that would take a run at buying them.

battlecr

Actually there are more in Washington then 4 in private hands. There is at least 10+ in Oregon either restored or under restoration that I know of. Like Pafarmer said Check the G503 and the halftrack info. Lots restoration threads, believe me someone has been there done that. If you facebook there is the White halftrack enthusiast. There are a couple of us over in the valley. We can answer a lot of questions. I've got 6 years into my M3

Don G.

Attachments

Wayofftrack

Don't know what you can get it all for but it's a great find. The most complete one (it does look like an M16) if it really runs is worth 5k by itself easily. That's just my opinion.

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deleted the post as the dash looked like a IHC half-track dash but upon a more detailed study, the holes were incorrect to be a IHC dash. It looks like the gauge cluster is fabed up or from some other vehicle. It's a white of some sort, looks to be a M3 based on the lowered area in the center. or M21

Attachments

Last edited:

Wayofftrack

:-D

It has a data plate so it should have all the info you need. If it happens to be an M21 then that kicks the value up a bit I think. To my knowledge their is maybe one known M21 survivor they were a very small late war production run. 110 M21's were made as opposed to 3615 M16's so an M21 would be a real find. If the data plate is not readable you can find the serial number on the frame on the drivers side behind the front tire. If it was made by white it will have a serial number starting with a '2'. M16 serials fall in the range of 274xxx to 294xxx. Since M21's were made by White it will have a 6 digit serial number in this format. If its an M3 made by Autocar or Diamond T it will have the body style embedded in the serial number such as M3xxx or M3-xxx. Autocar used dashes in their serial numbers and Diamond T did not. A Diamond T winch model will also have a 'W' as the last digit. Diamond T serial numbers are generally stamped lightly as opposed to Autocar and White and can be very hard to read or even locate.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks