• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M342a2 factory dump truck is now home

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M342A2 is close to the top of the deuce "Must Have" list along with the M60, M108, M756A2 and V17A/MTQ. I wished I were retired and wealthy, if I were I may have had time to restore the M59 that I had.

Funny, I was just looking at that list of deuces, they all do some type of lift except the dump that does the opposite.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How are your metal fabrication/welding skills? I have looked at this tailgate many times, and it is very basic. If you are looking for a utilitarian replacement and not concerned with authenticity, you could make a suitable facsimile.

The frame could be made from square tubing. The bottom member needs to be rounded where it swings against the bed floor, so that one could be pipe or round tube. Then add a flat plate to enclose it.
The hardest part might be the pivot points, but not impossible. They appear to be a forging which combines the round element with a mounting bracket. There is no reason why it could not be made from near-net-shapes, perhaps a piece of round stock welded to a channel or angle.

I could get some dimensions if you want to try it.

I would still check with the others suggested and maybe try a classified wanted ad first.

Attachments

Last edited:

res0wc18

im sure i could build one, ive built many many trucks over the years, but its a time factor for me..... if i can find one ready to go ill take that first, if not ill be forced to.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call SECO for a tailgate. They have 3 parts trucks. They also have the spare tire rack/holders. The spare tire holders are different from the 5 tons. All the deuce dumps and the M48's use the same holders.

res0wc18

more pics

Attachments

res0wc18

so its dirty as its been in the desert a long time. dented fuel tank etc but its already got a nice 24v alt conversion!

discovered that the PO ran the 1/8 fuel hose to the flame heater wrong, it melted through against the maniifold..... can you say FLAME on! wow what a close call, glad i checked it first

84diplomat

Good catch on the fuel hose!! Would hate to hear you had a mishap like that before I even get over to see it in person in the next couple weeks:grin:
Nice rare find my friend, you have me dreaming of D of my own again :sad:

Phil Rhodes

the freight would be tough but I think I saw NOS tailgates at White Owl. I will be going by there on the way to the beach next week and I can check for you . But it is probably just as easy to call or email them if you can't find one closer

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting, . . . it looks as if your replacement engine has a "D" turbo, but the exhaust is a N/A type (skinny stack and muffler under the cab) .

Mine was originally a N/A also.

Is your data plate there? Is it a '66 Kaiser-Jeep model?

Here is an illustration of the spare tire carrier.
spare tire carrier.jpg
spare tire carrier parts list.jpg

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hawthorne tractor in FL also has a rack. It is pretty crusty and is missing the tool box.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks