• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 A1 Transfer Case Question

TGP (IL)

I just acquired a M35A1 and would like some incites on the "Sprag" type T-case?
Mostly do's & don'ts with this type.

Have started reading the Tm's and read were driveshaft must be removed prior to towing.
I understand that.
Also heard there trouble prone and didn't work to well.
One other note, the data plate shows M35A1 WW The seller claims it is a 1975 am general.
Would that be correct for a A1?
Thanks for any information.
Tom

Last edited:

Kaiser67M715

Biggest one I know of is to not let it roll forward when in a reverse gear, and do not let it roll rearward when in any forward gear. if that does happen you must either shift the opposite way(I.E. if you rolled forward in reverse, shift to a forward gear, normally first) that will release the tension in the drive train. NOTE: you must drive forward or rearward the distance you rolled, even greater to ensure proper disengagement of the sprag gears

if the above is not possible, you must jack up one front tire and rotate the proper way to release tension

as to being trouble prone, I don't know, I think the design was old, and while it worked like it should; was most likely abused, probably when soldiers let it roll and didn't release the tension, resulting in untold wear in the sprag unit, also because you could not shift to 6x6 before getting stuck, you had to have the rears spinning faster then the fronts, so it was easier to get stuck, because you had a lag when the fronts would turn versus them already working for you with the air-shift style.

TGP (IL)

TGP (IL)

Biggest one I know of is to not let it roll forward when in a reverse gear, and do not let it roll rearward when in any forward gear. if that does happen you must either shift the opposite way(I.E. if you rolled forward in reverse, shift to a forward gear, normally first) that will release the tension in the drive train. NOTE: you must drive forward or rearward the distance you rolled, even greater to ensure proper disengagement of the sprag gears

if the above is not possible, you must jack up one front tire and rotate the proper way to release tension

as to being trouble prone, I don't know, I think the design was old, and while it worked like it should; was most likely abused, probably when soldiers let it roll and didn't release the tension, resulting in untold wear in the sprag unit, also because you could not shift to 6x6 before getting stuck, you had to have the rears spinning faster then the fronts, so it was easier to get stuck, because you had a lag when the fronts would turn versus them already working for you with the air-shift style.
Thanks!
The helps a lot.
I understand what your telling me.
Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks