• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 A2 fire truck

Geico

I was working on the fire department's deuce and I was laying on the floor looking to see how to adjust the clutch and noticed that the rear axle was covered in oil, so was the underneath of the bed.

I started up the engine and looked for a leak and noticed that oil was splatered over the side of the engine and it looks like its coming out of the breather pipe by the turbo charger; also there is oil on the bottom of the front diff and a small drip coming off the bottom of the fan drive and there is a small oil leak on the top of the tranfer box but that is easy to seal with some instant gasket as its leaking from a screw thread.

I took it on a 50 mile road trip to get the truck inspected and it was about 85 degrees when I took it and it got to the test station and turned round and drove home. It did the 50 miles without any problems but I found oil on the floor under it tonight when I went to start all the trucks up.

Here are the questions:

Is this something that the deuce does all the time?
Is there a cure as it is a fire risk having oil under the truck?

(Hope that is more suitable .... just saying)

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes, most deuces "mark their territory". I wouldn't worry about it, get hose nozzles that spray farther away!

plym49

Periods are your friend. As are paragraph returns, capitalization and coherent sentence structure. Do you realize how annoying it is to decipher stream of consciousness text? Folks here want to help; don't make it a chore to simply read your post.

Just saying.

bonshawman

Also, as some of these trucks sit, seals can dry up. I replaced a rear input shaft seal on my M931 which had driven 1,000 miles since rebuild - however it sat from May 2008 (rebuild) until it was driven December 2011. It was my first time doing this, but I had a lot of resources, and it was not a tough job.

Our deuce leaks in a "predictable" manner - in other words, we know where she SHOULD be leaking and what is "normal" for her - and we look for the abnormal.

mcmullag

road draft tube

I use clear plastic tubing from Lowe's to get that blow-by 'smoke' to come out lower to the ground. You can measure the metal part on the engine to see what internal diameter you need. It's either 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" ID. I think you need 2.5' of it to have it come down to the bottom of the front axle. Get a hose clamp to hold it on to that metal tube coming off the engine. I still get a dirty soot on the front most rear axle from the stuff coming out of the tube. (if ya look real hard, can ya see it under there? I dunno)

Attachments

rlwm211

My "Slobber Tube" (Yes, it is actually called that!) extends down almost to the front differential. When I bought my deuce and first started driving it, there was a lot of slobber coming out of that tube. Most of it ended up on the front differential. Some, but not much, streaked down the underside of my truck.

After working the truck a bit over the next few months, it stopped slobbering for the most part.

Most of the slobber is caused by idling too much. The mulktifuel engine does not run efficiently at cold block temperatures. Add that the radiator is huge and is very efficient your engine does not warm up at all idling. It may show 160 on the temperature gauge but the combustion chambers are still pretty cool as compared to when the truck is working.

The cure is to not idle the truck. It is recommended in the PS Mag and -10 manual to keep the engine slightly above idle (At maybe 800-900 RPM) when it is idling and not working.

There can be other causes of slobber but this is the most common.

rlwm211

Agreed Bob, but the OP did not report oil loss in having to refill the crankcase...

That is unless I missed it which can happen......

Geico

Thank you for your help with the slobber pipe, the truck doesn't seem to be loosing oil apart from what its wearing I have checked the oil regularly. I just have to clean the oil off so the truck doesn't catch fire while we are on a fire scene. I am going to fit a piece of pipe to put the slobber under the axel and keep as much as possible off the truck, I will put some photos up on Sunday , once again thank you

Speedwoble

Also, in my experience, the way to drive these trucks is not simply pedal to the floor. My 69 would leak from every orifice when I did that. I found if I drove a little more sedately at 50-53, it stayed clean.

Darwin T

Periods are your friend. As are paragraph returns, capitalization and coherent sentence structure. Do you realize how annoying it is to decipher stream of consciousness text? Folks here want to help; don't make it a chore to simply read your post.

Just saying.
Periods are your friend? i bet at least 1/2 the men on here would disagree and i bet all the women would to.:popcorn:

rlwm211

the compulsion, the need, the curse

The law of Reo-Stude-Am-Gen or

"Restage"

applies to all M35 deuce and a halfs.

This has been borne out by scientific testing that
in this particular species of Military Vehicle,
the probability of the need for an
adjustment or repair is statistically
10 times more likely than
the counter principle that states
a M35 can exist without
the need for attention of some sort.

This is made worse by the
combining of OD Disease
which is known to cause its sufferers
to habitually perform repairs and
maintanence on this type of vehicle.

Additionally there are two complications for OD Disease.

One is the common proliferation of
"companion" MVs that appear with
no apparent reason in the driveways of the OD sufferer.

This is known as "Addicitive Auctionbiddus".

Second,
the ritualistic and habitual amounts
of time the OD sufferer spends on a particular website.

This is known as "Obsessive Steel Soldier's Disease".

If the original disease is accompanied by the
two complications there is no cure
and the sufferer will for the rest of their life
be obsessed with OD Green and
modifications to their MVs along
with a propensity to increase
their Motor Pool's Size exponentially.

The only way to slow down the progress
of the disease is to bring two or more
of the suffers together and they will
ultimately resort to a behavior known as

"Fermented Ale Consumption"

where they occupy themselves
with the intake of a fermented beverage
of choice and spend hour upon hour
telling tales about their "recoveries"

[thumbzup]

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks