• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35-a2 vs m35-a3 whichn is better

davidkroberts

why make the decision. With running driving m35a2's going for around the 2500 mark why not get another one. Or something similar like a M109 and make a camper out of it or something. My wife would probably balk at having two trucks that were so similar so I would make one a bit different just for the sake of arguement. Or even a bobbed duece for that matter. That way if something drastic does happen or if you even get stuck ( or someone needs help moving) you can self-recover easily.

I dont see it as a big problem..... why choose :-D

Unforgiven

Your choice of an A3 is fine. I don't think they look bad at all. And any piece of machinery can be reliable with proper maintenance.

I chose an A2 b/c of $$$. When I am finished modding I will have an A3, but with my choice of parts ... Cummins engine, Allison tranny, hydraulic p.s., etc. The only thing I find goofy on the A3 are the tire shields for the air system. I think the shields are ugly. From what I've read, those systems are usually disconnected & removed anyway.

If I had $15K at the time I would have seriously considered an A3. Although it is kind of a neat hobby trying to figure out how to upgrade the A2 to suit your personal taste.

saddamsnightmare

January 11th, 2010.

Just based on what I've seen CTIS's do when they are outta wack. IF the compressor can keep up with the leak.....? Are the compressors that much larger then the A-2's? And isolate the section that's having trouble? You got 6 tires, from what I see, and I've never seen a six wheeled truck happy to lose one (especially on the rear under load)..... Are the tires set up to "run flat", and if so, how long untill tire destruction? The HMMWV systems are nothing to write home about either.....
Besides, if the CTIS takes as long to change pressures in the tires as the deuce does with the cab air hose, you're in a world of hurt.....
I have seen a lot of A3's with disabled CTIS's, and I hear the FMTV's don't do any better in that department from what the GI's say. Most of the old GI's around here have said they'd trade an A3 or an FMTV for an A2 just for the fact it takes more to kill an A-2.

But, if you are happy with it and can keep it going, more power to the man that owns one. I
figure Uncle coulda rebuilt all the A-2's from the frame up for what he paid for the A-3 program, which probably shares the one good idea of the split brakes with the ESP A-2's....

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

markmontana

I was over at Boyce Equipment this afternoon and saw an A3 back in the corner of the shop. They are adding a big jack stand to the frame- between the cab and the bed. (Very nice work I should add).

Anyway- that A3 is an awesome piece of equipment- very impressive. I haven't paid attention to them before- but I have to say- if you can have more than one deuce- an A3 would be my vote for #2.

Dave

Heavysteven

If I had the money would have purchased a M35A3 w/w. To me hands down they look good, hydrualic winch, power steering, and CAT diesel...oh mama daddy needs a new ride

How cool would it be to pual along side a FMTV in a M35A3....Guess I can dream

mudguppy

all of the CTIS systems i've experienced (-A3's, 5T-A2's, FMTVs, etc), if there is a leak, it is contained to the leaking wheel only. most leaks are slow, so as soon as the vehicle is started the system will refill the low tire(s).

and the CTIS on the FMTV is quite quick at response time. the only issue with that system is that it is speed regulated. so if you put it into sand/mud mode (lowest pressure), then it automatically will begin refilling tires when above a certain speed (20 mph??). but, you can keep hitting the desired mode to keep it at the desired air pressure. nice system actually - i'd give a whole bunch of deuces to have a 1084W/W... :drool:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that you will find that those who own them LOVE them and those who don't own them dislike them for whatever reasons, mainly because of the trucks' looks or the CTIS. There is no way to defend either aspect of the M35A3. I will add that the looks kind of grow on you after you own one. I found myself forgetting about the bastardized hood! With regard to the CTIS, you are better off disabling it as it will probably fail eventually! With all this said, I'd take the M35A3 over an M35A2 any day.
My hood is not bastardized it is one pice fiberglass.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
January 11th, 2010.

Just based on what I've seen CTIS's do when they are outta wack. IF the compressor can keep up with the leak.....? Are the compressors that much larger then the A-2's? And isolate the section that's having trouble? You got 6 tires, from what I see, and I've never seen a six wheeled truck happy to lose one (especially on the rear under load)..... Are the tires set up to "run flat", and if so, how long untill tire destruction? The HMMWV systems are nothing to write home about either.....
Besides, if the CTIS takes as long to change pressures in the tires as the deuce does with the cab air hose, you're in a world of hurt.....
I have seen a lot of A3's with disabled CTIS's, and I hear the FMTV's don't do any better in that department from what the GI's say. Most of the old GI's around here have said they'd trade an A3 or an FMTV for an A2 just for the fact it takes more to kill an A-2.

But, if you are happy with it and can keep it going, more power to the man that owns one. I
figure Uncle coulda rebuilt all the A-2's from the frame up for what he paid for the A-3 program, which probably shares the one good idea of the split brakes with the ESP A-2's....

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D
Al I can say is get the A3 book and read it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks