• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Alternative Transmissions?

It is good to be back on the site I have been much to busy and have finely gotten time to get back here. I am just wondering If anybody has thought of putting a alternative transmission or auxiliary box into the M35. Either more gears for more hill/load pulling choices instead of the large gaps, and or an overdrive to drop RPM for 55MPH cruising (This is not a speed gaining plan just a engine saving plan) run the motor at lower RPM for a nicer cruise not flooring the truck to get 55 but running 55 at low RPM, are there any bolt up transmissions out there, If so do they offer more gear options? do these larger transmissions physically fit under there?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The biggest issue you will run into is the length. There is not enough room for other transmissions with more gears, they are too long.

well I did now about the split shifting with the t-case but was looking at potential ideas, I am now getting the time and funds again to maybe jump into this hobby and find a Deuce but was looking at potential things to tinker with. I am not fond of racing the engine only to achieve 55MPH Don't get me wrong 55 is fast enough for me I am no speed demon, I was liking the ideas of higher gears for lower RPM operation and more gears for tugging loads I was aware of the small space to put something in but was not unsure of what is all out there. thanks.

Last edited:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no known trans to replace that size, at least not discovered yet. If getting rid of the 'hole' between 3rd and 4th gears is wanted, put the gasser trans in a multifuel but the speed will be reduced to "4th" speed, no OD.

Then there is the higher OD kit for the multifuel, be sure it has the improvements to 2nd gear, bearings, etc.

The other alternative is to move the T-case back and put a different trans in, but I don't think anyone has done that.

Kohburn

lots of people bob the deuce and get custom drive shafts done - no reason the tranfer case couldn't be moved back at the same time.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
lots of people bob the deuce and get custom drive shafts done - no reason the tranfer case couldn't be moved back at the same time.
With a bobber you no longer have the axle travel of the tandems , plus most bobbers lenghten the driveshaft. When moving the transfer case back and shortening the driveshaft , without limiting axle travel , it could cause the driveshaft to bind up .

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
With a bobber you no longer have the axle travel of the tandems , plus most bobbers lenghten the driveshaft. When moving the transfer case back and shortening the driveshaft , without limiting axle travel , it could cause the driveshaft to bind up .
On a bobber, you could loose a foot of driveshaft and still make it work. Everyone seems to use 105 springs or front deuce springs, not a lot of flex there.

59apache

Chipmaker
how much are we're talking about? 1-2", 10" ? I've no idea! I've often thought about an 8-speed, that would be a good improvement. close ratio, 8th overdrive. great for pulling and hills.

I've no idea what transmission can fit. what about moving the engine a bit forward and the transfercase a bit backwards? shure a lot of work, but worth it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a bobber, you could loose a foot of driveshaft and still make it work. Everyone seems to use 105 springs or front deuce springs, not a lot of flex there.
I was refering to the shorter driveshaft binding up with the tandems intact , that it is likely to bind .

You can do just about anything you want to a bobber , it's basicly just a big pickup with no travel to the axles .

andyh1956

when changing trans some considerations are in order, size limitations, syncro or non syncro, clutch type, ratio sets, rpm range. and old school trans would be a rt or rto 610 fuller. it has a ratio set for gas burner rpms, or about 3000 rpm. these were behind a lot of 3000 rpm mid range diesels like ih dt 466 or 3208 cat engines. they are un syncro transmissions. the better ones would be a later six or seven speed spicer with full syncro mesh. they are prolly a foot or so too long to fit into the space allowed so transfer mods would be in order. you could "brown lipe" a box behind the transfer (these were called "brownies) but you could only use it with the front axle dis-engaged. hope this helps some.
andy

rronning84

I thought that there was also an issue with the bell housing on theses trucks. Something like it has a common SAE housing only the holes don't match up right?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
it is the engine clutch housing that is not standard, the trans is standard and will bolt right into an A3. it has been done at least once, i think it is a very good idea and very low cost if you can do it yourself.

as for the A2, there is no other trans that will fit, that is why i produced the OD kit and with it gear splitting using low/high is very uniform with no gaps.

hornetfan

here I was hoping against hope that my A3 transmission question would be solved :)
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that the Allison is hardly a short tranny. The A3 transfer case position seems farther back than an A2 but I don't own both -- only the A3. I'm considering a Cummins 5.9L 6BTA swap for the Cat 3116 for several reasons -- more power easily and less front end weight by a lot -- and I'm considering using the Mercedes G56AE 6-speed manual. It is long and heavy but so is the Allison!

Moving the transfer case involves moving mounting brackets which are riveted in place. Replace the rivets with Grade 8 bolts or, better, use Huck rivets although that probably would require a cooperative shop to do the rivets because the tool is expensive. At the end of the day I don't understand the unwillingness to at least ask and answer some of these questions about alternatives. Safer turf I guess.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks