• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 (and other MV) Roadside Assistance list

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wouldn't the moderators be the most logical contact? After all, they surf the website daily. There would not even be a need for a list. When an MV owner needs help they could PM one of the mods. The mod could then send out a "blanket" notification to all SS website members. Since PM's also send out an email notification, that would mean every SS member would receive the email request for assistance. Those in the nearby area who are willing to help could then respond via PM to the stranded vehicle with further info such as phone numbers etc. It would be much easier than trying to maintain an up-to-date list of active members.

And how often would it actually need to be used? Maybe once every few weeks is my guess. So I don't think it would be an undue burden to the mods.

Just a suggestion.
Good idea but it has a couple of issues-

Although 99.7% of the time there is at least one mod on the site, we don't have any sort of "duty schedule" so there does exist the possibility to have a situation where we get the notification and none of us see it for a while.

We have no way of sending "bulk" PM's-we'd have to individually PM the people we think most likely to be able to help.

L999here

...could be a burden....

The preliminary list that has been provided looks a little slim.....but covers a very wide area of the US. The ideal situation would be someone within 50-100 mi. from anywhere in the US. To place the burden of responsibility upon (1) person or a moderator would be unfair and would not be as effective as a 'hard' listing that could be referred to in an emergency. In my experience,what is most needed is for someone to stop and try to assist in a break-down situation. If major problem,the MV needs to be towed/pushed to an area where it will not be impounded or given a ticket...and can be worked on. Next,proper tools and logistics (transportation or assistance getting parts/pieces),if necessary and a place to stay/recouperate if the problem persists and an over-night stay is necessary. Just the fact that someone offers assistance is the key,as they are probably local and know what is available and in the area. Personally, the list being worked on and added to is the best option available. Not many people have a lap-top with full wireless capability to get on-line and notify the SS guys. A name and a phone # are priceless when you are stranded on the side of an un-familiar hwy far from home.

mckeeranger

Good idea but it has a couple of issues-

Although 99.7% of the time there is at least one mod on the site, we don't have any sort of "duty schedule" so there does exist the possibility to have a situation where we get the notification and none of us see it for a while.

We have no way of sending "bulk" PM's-we'd have to individually PM the people we think most likely to be able to help.
Also; Many people, like me, will not see a PM right away and might miss it for several hours. Unless I happen to be doing some computer work, I'm only going to get PMs and emails in the morning, at lunch, and in the afternoon. Sometimes I'll not be online until 10:00 PM.

Cell phone is the best way to reach me during the day.

Last edited:

mckeeranger

Personally, the list being worked on and added to is the best option available. Not many people have a lap-top with full wireless capability to get on-line and notify the SS guys. A name and a phone # are priceless when you are stranded on the side of an un-familiar hwy far from home.
And, just like you might plan a route using Google Maps, or something, you could also make a note of willing SS members, and their phone numbers, along your route.

If you have a problem, or would just like to meet someone for lunch, you would have the list of numbers with you. That could save a ton of time and trouble.

Unforgiven

Might I also suggest:

1-Keep general surfing free

2-Offer an optional "premium" membership to the site for a reasonable fee, say $12 per year ( $1 per month) that would specifically include an "informal" roadside assistance network.

Only allow paid members to click the special "Help Me" icon when they get stranded (well, when they reach civilization). Have a computer software guy set up the database to automatically message SS website members with the request for assistance. Also have a disclaimer that it might take several hours for anyone to respond & no guarantees about towing etc.

Let's face it, when you get stuck it sucks. It always requires hours of waiting & numerous phone calls. At least this way you would have a good chance of having help by the end of the day, or at the worst within a day or two.

At $12 per member per year there would be incentive for the website admins to do this as well. With thousands of members & at least several hundred regular surfers there would be a more than enough $$$ to hire a computer expert to update the server software.

I, for one, would be willing to pay a modest fee for such a service. And it would significantly subsidize the cost of the website, if not generate a profit.