• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 bed thickness

Pawnshop

One of the first things I noticed about my M35A2 was how thick the bed is. I just assumed they were all like that, but over the last two years of sometimes remembering to look at other ones, I have not seen another like it! Mine appears to be two pieces of 3/8" plate steel, all the others I have seen were sheet metal. Anyone else have the heavy variety? As far as I know mine is a stone stock 1970 Kaiser-Jeep M35A2.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's one heavy floor. I can't think of a reason to have a floor that thick in a cargo truck. A dumptruck maybe. Troop or cargo protection from IEDs?

I tend to think this was added to the truck and didn't come that way from the factory.

3dAngus

Almost looks like a precursor to MRAP. Is there any extra steel or weld marks under the drivers seat? MRAP really came out in the second conflict, or in this decade, but in the early 90s they did a lot of field beefing up of the vehicles using steel like that to protect the troops and supplies.

Last edited:

Pawnshop

According to Carnac this truck did all it's duty stateside (Ft. Sam Houston, med school), no IED armor added. There IS a fire bottle mount on the driver side front fender, maybe it hauled fuel tanks?

Akicita

Run that truck across a scale and see how much heavier it is than a regular truck! I bet it rides nice all the time.
I also have the thicker plates on my Deuce. I haven't weighed the old girl yet but I can tell you that I sometimes feel the rear lift off when I'm empty and hit a pothole, or drive on uneven roads in construction zones at 30 - 40 mph.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got detoured at lunchtime and didn't make it to the house. I'll do the measuring this evening.

<sigh>
My time got way out of control... <BIG SIGH> ... but finally got to it.

The plates in my former M35A3 bed at the "standard" thickness - about 1/8th inch thick. I didn't use a micrometer on it, but I'd say 8ga or possibly as thin as 10ga steel. (Gauge= how many plate thicknesses stack to equal 1" total thickness)

The distortions in my bed reflect some heavy/concetrated loads having been carriaged. I'm sure that thicker bed would not do that as readily. I'd pay big $$$ for THAT upgrade.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks