• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 bows

jimm1009

Has anyone ever replaced the wood with an aluminum or steel or possibly fiberglass material?
As everyone knows the bows for these trucks sag after a while as the similar bows on the M105 trailer do.
I'm looking to replace the wood altogether and was wondering if anyone else has had success with this project.
Thanks,
jimm1009 (Jim) :?:

wsucougarx

I have replaced my staves as well as the bows w/metal ones. The metal ones are the same dimensions as the wooden ones, so it was a straight across swap. I acquired a bunch of HEMTT staves and did have to cut them down. The benefit to that was I was able to add 1 inch of height to the rear end. Not much but that's all I could really do without the cargo cover riding over the edge of the bed

papercu

The newer top bows are metal. I have sold a few sets and had request for measuement so they could make some, so I know it been tried.
While I've had plenty of the woods ones to rot, don't think I've had any to sag if stored properly. How did you store your? Wayne

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 4 out of 5 bows on my A2C are steel. I just can't find that elusive 5th bow. Of course the bow corners are steel. Staves can be had in wood, fiberglass and steel. The steel ones are very short and had a dimple to keep them the right height.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
We have brand new 5 Ton long bed cargo bow and tarp kits still in the crate.

They are available in quantity lots.

They would be quick sellers at Aberdeen.

They are located in PA so they could be picked up en-route if you are headed there from the southeast region.

PM for details.

Attachments

emr

the answer is the military has used all those materials already.so i guess it is a good idea for sure. i have metal bows and fiberglass staves on all my trucks now, after years of swaps, they are very very sweet.

countryboy5487

Hello all have a interesting question on bows..... i have a set of bows and canvas that were new in the box (sadly any papers that came with them are long gone :-(...)and came with my first truck a m35a2c. well the truck was set up as a dump truck and i never used them. well now i have another duece non drop side and i got my bows and canvas out to put them on and heres where the delema begins. the bows are aluminium and made from 3/4" pipe and have 4 ( i think) sockets welded to ends of the bows to put 3/4" alu. poles between the bows which came with them.... i have looked around and cant find anything about these doggone things, how they install on the truck if they are for a duece that is, or anyone that even knows what im talking about auaand any info would be awsome

Last edited: