• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 emergency brake?

Ronbo

Hay guys , Quick question. My deuce was parked while I was over seas , now the E brake wont release,....... Ant tips or tricks..??? Thanks PS I tried moving in reverse and forwards but it wont move...

RANDYDIRT

You might try this. Chock the wheels and release the parking brake. Then go to the passenger side of the truck and stick your arm in between the bed and cab and grab the brake actuator lever (thing that has the cable hooked to it) and pull. you may have to grease and oil everything after you get it freed up. BTW, the springs get weak and may need replaced.

Ronbo

Thanks , I did exactually as you said.. But I didnt oil or grease anything..BLASTER?? and which springs?? Thanks

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the parking brake cable still tight that is pulling on the lever? if you released the parking brake lever in the cab and it is still tight on the parking break mechanism, i would say the cable is stuck/rusted. try spraying blaster or dripping oil down the cable so it works its way inside the outer jacket of the cable itself. Its good preventative maintance anyway. just be careful not to get any oil on the friction surfaces of the parking brake.

just courious....was the truck parted pointing down hill while it was stored? i heard that water can drip off the bed and right on the parking brake cable and drum of the deuces. that would cause rust problems like you may have.

Ronbo

The handle is loose when released.. The shoes are tight against the drum.. I will try and spray some blaster ,, ( next week ) Just got a call my momma died. Thanks

mcmullag

drive line parking brake

Have you crawled underneath the truck and looked at it? The parking brake drum and shoes sit there exposed, on the back of the transfer case. Right there in the open, big as day. If I recall, you will see grease nipples for some stuff on there. I bet if you tap the shoes with a big hammer and maybe play with some of the stuff with a large screwdriver, it may easily release.

dittle

If anything to get the truck moving back the adjustment nut off at the drum end of the cable. You may need to take a hammer (dead-blow preferred) to bang the pad free from the drum if its rusted. If your cable is ruined you're going to have to take this off anyway but you will atleast be able to get your brake released off the drum.

Snarky

Mine locks up from time to time like, once every few months, if I leave the truck sitting. Even with all the fittings greased and it oiled down. It just happens. I always just chock the wheels and bash the brake with a rubber mallet, sometimes I use my arm on the brake arm to get it free. I've had to do it while it was parked on a hill once, I broke it free and it moved slightly. The chocks held, but you never saw a man move so fast out from under a vehicle.

Big Earl

E brake

Mine was stuck open when I bought the truck, cable and arm both. Unhooked 1 end of the cable so blaster would run down into it, worked handle back and fourth until it released. I carefully heated the greased areas of the arm with a propane torch until old grease bubbled, then I was able to get new grease to pump through. Still had to work the arm by hand for about an hour (with cable unhooked) until the springs finally pulled it back as they should. A major pain, but it works like new now..........

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The handle is loose when released.. The shoes are tight against the drum.. I will try and spray some blaster ,, ( next week ) Just got a call my momma died. Thanks

Sorry for the loss of your Momma.

You have our deepest sympathies.

steve

saddamsnightmare

April 21st, 2010.

Permit me to express my deepest sympathy on the passing of your mother. These occurances often make us wonder what the plan is, and why such things have to happen, but the Supreme Architect does have a plan and we must do our parts to fit in, though we don't see the end of it. The truck can wait. I would suggest next time you go on long deployment to either store the truck under cover, or fit two different wheels with chocks chained and locked front and rear, that way you can leave the brake released in the cab. The Emergency brake drum and cable system are so stretegically located that freezing rain can play hades with it, and even the Unimog gets that problem from time to time due to ice forming on the linkages...

May God bless you and your family,

Sincerely,

Hugo

I had the same problem on a duece. The inside of the brake cable had a lot of rust,mud, and thick hardened grease in it. It would not let go so I had to take it off to clean it out. Its the only way to stop the problem in the future. Put it ina vise and spray wd.40 or some rust remover in. Put a rubber hose on one end clamp it good and clamp a air gun to the other end of the rubber hose. Push pull spray blast. Many Many times. Get it clean hugo.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks