• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 frame turned into a trailer

RGS20inophir

I know I have seen a couple M35 frames transformed into trailers but I can't seem to find a build thread on any of them. Does anyone have build photos? Is there any sort of science to finding the point to notch and bend the frame? How does one actually BEND the frame? How is the lunette ring secured? How was the air pack modified so it could be actuated with the truck brakes? Also, what is the pintle on the back of a deuce rated for? Can it actually handle a fully loaded M35 trailer conversion?

Thanks guys!:beer:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll bump this thread because most of the trailers come from someone stripping a deuce power plant for another project, then re-utilizing the aft end. Therefore a search routine may not serve. Best for others to chime in.

The operators TM gives the tow capacity. I imagine the actual truck pintle itself is designed and constructed in excess of rating, but I'm guessing.

My concern is that a deuce trailer may be too much all by itself, without cargo, for being utilized behind another deuce. Your trailer may be better sized for use behind a 5 ton!

Question, what do you think your trailer will weigh both empty and loaded?

Rick

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since most of the M-35 frame projects involve using an M-109, try searching for those threads. I know of one in NC (neilhendrix) and one in Georgia (mdmorgan) because I've seen and been inside them - don't have first hand experience on any others.

Jake0147

That deuce pintle hitch is about a rugged son of a gun. You'll run out of truck before you run out of hitch. Worry most about getting your lunette to stick to the trailer.

Brakes? This is a custom thing after all, I'll bet you a dollar that there's at least a couple running around in off road trim with no brakes at all. OTOH, there are threads about activating the airpack remotely from another vehicle, that can be done. They are in the context of flat towing a deuce and a half, that might help your search efforts. Since all the parts are there, it only seems practical to do it that way. Real fancy would be to add a quick release valve, then you could charge the trailer air tanks and get a much quicker response from the service line (the "brake signal"). It doesn't use a lot of air though, I doubt the dealy would be significant. Another option would be to take the air over hydraulic setup out of an M105 and utilize that to run the brakes, it was designed from get-go to operate this way.

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another option would be to take the air over hydraulic setup out of an M105 and utilize that to run the brakes, it was designed from get-go to operate this way.
That's a good idea, if it's adaptable to dual axle. Not being familiar (yet) with the 105, are the 105 brakes the same size and dimension of the deuce? Would it be as simple as plumbing more lines and doubling the air tank capacity???

Rick

treeguy

This thread comes at a funny time for me because I just started planning to do just this. That was the reason behind my "custom trailer brakes help" thread. I kind of wanted to keep it a secret and then show the pics. after, but it looks more common than I thought. I'm planning a sort of camper possibly with fold down sides on one side like the MKT's of today. I don't really want to chop the frame so I may keep it full length and notch it where the front doors hinge. This will give me a 10 degree A frame with a flat plate joining the front for the lunette ring. It will be a slow build because of money and time but I just sealed the deal for the frame yesterday. The brakes and lights now seem like no problem at all. By the way, what is up with the Marine Corp. trailer on the last page in the classifieds if you search trailer? Looks too good to be true, and why isn't it moved off by now? That is part of what gave me this crazy idea to start with.

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...what is up with the Marine Corp. trailer on the last page in the classifieds if you search trailer? ....
Help a guy out. How on earth do you perform search inside the classifieds?

Step by step instructions please for the classifieds impaired. I am not kidding.

Thanks,

Rick

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most conversions I have seen involve using the front portion of an M105 as the tongue. The M295 chassis has a tandem setup much like a deuce. They use the same brake system as tbe 105 but they use a system for each axle. Both are routed to a single relay valve for operation. For safety, the relay valve actuates the brakes in the event of a loss of air. With all that said, you could probably add a reservior to the deuce airpack and run an airline tp the can for operation. You would have no breakaway control though.

treeguy

On the tool bar on the top of every Steel Soldiers page......wait, are you pulling my chain? You have 1087 posts, for real dude?

What ever, click the Classified Ads in the top tool bar.
When the classifieds come up, look at the menu box on the left. A little ways down is a white box that is labeled search.

You should be able to find a pic of the trailer I mentioned if you type in "trailer" NO 'S' you won't get much if you add the 'S'. On the last page you should see a canvas covered trailer that looks just like the back of a deuce but bigger. It looks like a GL pic because the OP said he had removed the knuckle boom crane but I think it is shown in the pic. on the back. I am wondering if this is lagit, there is no price and I would think a beauty like that wouldn't last long around here.

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did what you said: I clicked and am on the "Classifieds" page, looking on the left side of the page. I appear to be missing "the menu bar on the left". Lemme describe what I see:

There is a column on the left side that has first the GL ad. Below that is User CP box. Below that is "Users online" box and below that are a few Chat boxes. At the very bottom of the left column is the standard search routine. The advance features do not search the classifieds.

Again, please bear with me. I would love to search the classifieds if possible.

Thanks.

Rick

*** EDIT *** I found it right under the separated classified categories. I swear it was not there a minute ago.

Thank you and Carry on!

Rick

Last edited:

RGS20inophir

I know I have seen a build out of California using an M35 chassis and bed that had been modified into a trailer. I want to say it was done by the guy in San Clemente and it had semi style fold up landing legs. I would imagine that you could use the existing air pack from the truck, cap the lines going forward, plumb the air side of the pack onto the brake pipe, and the emergency side onto the reservoir. Add a triple valve so the trailer goes into emergency in the event of a break away. But maybe I am completely off. But yes, nopics

treeguy

Along those lines for the brakes, still working out the details in planing mode, but will deal with that a little later after the frame is done. I am planning on using a semi style landing gear that can fold back to retain the ground clearance. I found a style that has a drop down leg you pin then crank. Work in progress, I'll post pics. if people are interested but like I said, it will probably be slow going.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few custom trailers I've spotted on the net.

Attachments

Last edited:

tm america

i built one.Mine has a dropside bed and i used the tongue from a m105 bolted and welded to the inside of the m35 frame.. this is probably the strongest way to build one of these trailers..The m105 tongue is boxed and braced like crazy. I left a 4 ft section in front of the bed for a platform ..The tongue runs inside the deuce frame about 3ft.. . i attached it to the top inside of the deuce frame so it will sit level when hooked to my truck.A two wheel crank up landing gear is a must... THese are super easy to build but still very heavy. I feel they are a litle to heavy to tow behind the deuce on a regular basis. BUt i have never hauled mine empty .

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the first picture there looks like a deuce bed on an M200A1 trailer. im debating what to do with my generator trailer now. it would be nice to make it a dump trailer using an M105 box.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I am cutting up a bolster trailer next week.....if anyone is inerested in the lunette and a few feet of the tongue let me know and I will cut off a few feet and save it. IMHO that would be ideal to make a trailer out of a deuce frame and bed.

I plan to put the axles from the bolster under another trailer (came out from under an expando van) to lower the profile and make it easier to get stuff up on it.

The axles from under that trailer will go the the scrapper unless someone close by needs them for a project (they are deuce pattern lug nuts).

PM if interested.

treeguy

One of the posts above mentions that the deuce frame and what ever trailer box you build will be too much weight for your regular deuce to tow around. I have been thinking about this for a while and don't understand. My reasoning is this, don't deuces tow other deuces with tow bars? Than whats the diff.? A deuce towing another deuce that has all the regular trimmings (engine, cab, 3 axles, fuel......) would weigh what 13,000#'ish. I can for see the tounge weight adding weight to the rear end different than a tow bar rig would, but you may also benifit by this weight in the form of traction. I know there is a lot more to this (trailer would have brakes though - benifit - where tow barring a deuce you don't), any ideas?

If I where to build a trailer to put behind a 2 1/2 ton or a 5 ton I would buy a civilian axle or axles and suspension with air brakes . The two trailers I have m269 with air brakes with out maxi brake and m131a5c with air over hydraulic . these are fine when maintained for a slow moving old truck but when loaded and parked I'm relying on the park brake and wheel chocks . even on hills it would be nice to have air brakes with maxis if you had to stop and hold it there .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks