• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35 from Mechanicsburg, PA to Angola, NY

whyme

first off, hello. been in the shadows for a while learning and reading. thank you all for the information here.

i just purchased an m35a2 w/w from gl and need to get it to ny. i live in angola (20 min south of buffalo) ivle also got some property in Randolph Ny if thats easier but id like to get it home.

i have considdered just driving it home (with insurance) or trying to get a temp registration or dealer plates.

it doesnt start but likely needs a jump or batteries, and i will have new ones when i go and get it.

Thanks, Dan.

LanceRobson

Hello, Dan, welcome to the herd.

You didn't really ask any questions but I'm guessing you are looking for information or comments.

How much experience have you got with these things and what's your comfort level for dealing with a breakdown or commercial towing bill?

I don't think you are going to be able to get temporary plates. I've gotten some in PA and seem to remember that it takes a signed title from the seller to get the plates and you won't have that. Hopefully someone from PA who knows more will chime in.

NY does not issue temporary or transit plates unless the vehicle is leaving the state.

The challenge with "does not run" or any purchase where you have not had an inspection by a knowledgeable person is that you could get there to find any number of major issues or minor issues that still keep you from driving it out. Even a good inspection in the GL yard won't help find a leaking rear main seal, sticky brakes or a gazillion other possible issues. Don't wait until late in the time window to arrange a pick up. Leave yourself enough time to react to a problem.

If you search for subjects like "drive it out" etc you will find lots of food for thought. I live too far north of any logical route you would take to help but if you start a thread titled something like "Mechanicsburg pick help needed" you may find someone who is local enough who could help if you get into a bind, even if it's to tow the truck out so you can get it fixed. There are also lots of threads on what to take with you for a pick up.

Good luck

Lance

mbarber84

I drove mine from Mechanicsburg to Pittsburgh without any issues. I took the chance and it paid off, but I was lucky and had no trouble mechanically or legally. Being that you are from NY, would NY issue you a temp. registration? I tried to get one in PA and it wasnt possible, however if I remember correctly, I talked to others on here who had been issued temp. registrations (sometimes valid for a few days) in order to move a vehicle from state to state. I DID however make sure I had insurance on the truck when I moved it.

As far as the recovery of your truck goes, pack the usual equipment (Tools, compressor, etc etc.) A mechanically inclined friend or two, along with a chase vehicle, is good to have if you can find some volunteers. My truck needed the brake system bled and topped off, other than that, it was general fluid maintenance, a thorough inspection, replace a few blown light bulbs (remember its 24volts) and fresh fuel and I was off. There are a ton of threads here on truck recovery recommendations, if you have some time, do a search on "truck recovery" and theres a really good recovery checklist around here somewhere which is an excellent guide for a proper & safe recovery. Your POC for the GL yard will be "Mike", hes an easy person to get along with and wont give you any trouble while you get your truck ready for the return trip.

Best of luck, be safe, and enjoy the trip, ....you should have nice weather. I brought mine home in a snow storm without wipers, and an incorrectly hooked up heater....talk about freezing your ash off (lol)

Coal Cracker

When I drove out of M-burg I wasn't asked or looked at by anybody, That being said, I still had insurance and a
dealer plate. If you are from out of state , you can get a Temporary transit plate from a pa. notary, you'd need
your insurance info and the vin, Some notaries may pass you off and say you can't get one, you can it's legal,
just find another notary.

Mike , Was great to work with, he offered to slave if needed, but I was fortunate and didn't need it,

I got off base and pulled into the mall lot to do my inspection, all was ok, so we drove her home.

Good Luck

Last edited:

paulfarber

I live just of 81 exit 119 so if you break down or need to park it I have plenty of space. Also have tools (I am restoring a CCKW) so repairs should be doable... I also know the local tow guys (not personally, but their phone #s) should it you need it. There are at least 4 heavy truck shops within 5 miles of Gordon that can help.

PM me if you want my contact info.

Coal Cracker

I'd also be willing to lend a hand if need be, I'm right off 81 exit 138, I have plenty of safe storage , towbar, tools, and most minor truck parts are available. Send a pm when you're going to do this, I'll forward my cell# ,
I'll do my best to stay available.

whyme

thanks guys, you will prob be hearing from me when im ready, waiting on the EUC so god knows how long but soon i hope.

would anyone be interested in helping me go over the truck at pick up if i do decide to try and drive it back? im sure i can compensate you for your time.

thanx again

whyme

not exactly. wed at noon is the load out and ive got two two companies willing to tow it the 90+ miles to a fellow SS members property where i can make it road worthy. cost is still an issue but im making headway. if anyone here has the means and is willing to help i would be grateful.

Atwater

trip

depending on the time frame i might be able help out. i dont have a rig capable of towing a deuce but could possibly round up some tools and a pickup(1008 possibly if i get it done:?:)
whats your time frame looking like ?

ps where is the truck being towed to?