• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35 fuel pump

steward

Hello, I have a 51 Reo with a bad fuel pump. I pulled it off and disassembled it only to find 1/2 of it covered in white gell. When I cleaned it that chamber was extremely pitted (see pics). Does anyone know what the white gell might be and why it degraded the aluminum. Where might I find a replacement section for the pump and a rebuild kit. Thanks for any help…..StewardMVC-020F.JPGMVC-021F.JPG

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
steward I have no idea what that white jell was you found in the pump but it sure did a number on it! The first place I would suggest looking for a replacement would be to put a wanted ad on this site, these guys are pretty knowledgeable as far as where to find parts, bear in mind there is a good chance your going to end up getting a complete pump, my guess is its going to be easier to find than just this part, but I could be wrong? The good part is you dealing with a military truck and they built thousand of additional parts for them, its out there now with the help of the guys on this site you will find it! Good luck!
Karl

Crazyguyla

Steward,

The pump is made by AC Delco, so you might find a rebuildable core from a GM truck of the era. You'd just have to remember to use your pump lever. It would be easier to buy a new or rebuilt pump. I get all my gas engine parts from Memphis Equipment. Some other vendors sell parts, but I'm not familiar with which ones.

Marcus

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steward,

The pump is made by AC Delco, so you might find a rebuildable core from a GM truck of the era. You'd just have to remember to use your pump lever. It would be easier to buy a new or rebuilt pump. I get all my gas engine parts from Memphis Equipment. Some other vendors sell parts, but I'm not familiar with which ones.

Marcus
Memphis equipment has rebuilt pumps with ethanol ready rubber.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A long-term solution might mean going out of your way, but will be worth it if you plan on keeping your truck for many years. Since it’s a gas engine, I recommend not using any more ethanol-tainted fuel...it’s not meant for older vehicles as you can see and it causes many more problems than it’s worth.

Run ethanol-free gas from now on. Maverik fuel stations in WA, ID, & UT carry ethanol-free “Clear Gas” with a blue pump handle (and a blue price sign by their Unleaded & Diesel banners out front). It is generally 88-octane and it’s all I run in any of my gasoline-powered engines, especially 2-strokes. Buy some extra gas cans and add some Sta-Bil, and you’re good for up to 2 years’ troublefree storage. Also, add some Seafoam to each gas can.

After your fuel pump rebuild, flush out your fuel lines as best you can, change all of your fuel filters, drain your fuel tank of the ethanol-tainted crap fuel, and refill with Clear Gas. When you fill the fuel tank, add a whole can of Seafoam to help clean things up. If it runs crappy at first, some crud has probably broken loose and clogged your fuel filter(s) so don’t be afraid to have some extras on hand to swap out to get your truck running optimally.

Looks like your nearest Maverik gas station (going by Google Maps) is in Hayden on US95, north of Couer d’Alene. Long road trip, but it wouldn’t do your truck any harm OR you could take a pickup and a lot of fuel cans over there. It will be worth it. Since I’ve discovered this gem of a fuel, I’ve purged all of my gas-powered engines and appliances and refilled with Clear Gas....I’ve had NO fuel related problems since.

YMMV; good luck.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Run ethanol-free gas from now on.
If you this route, Gas Buddy .com used to have a way to list stations that had pumps w/out ethanol. I haven't used Gas Buddy for some years so I don't know if they still list it separately, but there are likely other sites out there that do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks