• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 gas engine info?

citizensoldier

Well I have a stack of manuals and they all only go back to the M35A1.. Cant find any info on the M35 gas Continental engine. Whats the cubes? Is it the same as the M211 style? Dont think so but need to ask.. Who has parts for these old buggers? I think I will need a new water pump,the bearing is kinda sloppy and is leaking behind the gasket. Whats the propper plug for it? Is there info on this site somewhere that I just cant find yet?
Fill me in guys. This truck just fell into my lap and up until now I never looked twice at these gassers. Its growing on me and Opienotool likes it too.

JasonS

The engine was designed by REO; manufactured by both REO and Continental. It is 331 cubic inches and, unlike the GMC 302 in the M211, is really a truck engine. I know NAPA has gaskets; the usual surpllus houses should have the rest. Saturn has a water pump advertised on their web site. I have two engines with sloppy water pump bearings that don't appear to leak; could be a gasket. I converted mine to civilian plugs so I can't help you there.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Again, on the road this morning with no manuals - but its the same plug as the R6602 in the five tons - and I believe, the same plug used by the M37 (there's that M-series commonality again).

The model number of the engine is a Reo OA-331 Gold Comet - copies were license built be Continental, their model number is COA-331. The Gold Comet was designed in 1949, and was sold (sans fording provisions) in the civilian commercial truck market - and used by truck builders beyond Reo.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
As Jason mentioned in his reply, NAPA has the soft parts (gaskets, etc.) - and usually can get hard parts too (bearings, water pump, etc) but Surplus dealers tend to be cheaper on hard parts - the government surplused tons of this stuff, whereas NAPA's stuff tends to be fresh, new - and current cost - products.

Regards,
David

JasonS

David makes a good point about NAPA's soft parts being current. Every surplus gasket set that I have bought was dried out. I used silicone to glue the valve cover gaskets but in the end, they were porous and leaked. The problem with the valve cover from NAPA was that it was too long. Realistically, thie should be an easy fix for the supplier. What other info are you looking for?

citizensoldier

Thanks guys!

Once again you have all come through for me. That manual looks like just what I need. Maybe Santa will order me one with my credit card.. :lol:
I was just after any general info on the engine. Blow ups, bearing specs, Fording kit aplication.. You know the normal stuff.
What is your opinion on a NOS water pump still in the cosmaline? Do they have rubber impelers in them? Think it is still good to use? Or should I try to find a repro for one? :?:

JDToumanian

Thanks Kenny! That's the EXACT manual I was looking for... I have 9-2320-209-10-1, but it covers the M764 earth borer truck, not the V18A/MTQ, so I needed the earlier 9-2320-209-10.

Jon

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also consider shopping Ebay for the TM 9-2320-209-20. The 1965 version is a great manual. Also the TM 9-8022 is exclusively for gasser deuces. All show up eventually.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the TM 9-2320-209-20P, 20-2-1, 20-2-2, 3-1 thru4 on CD. I can post them if they aren't there and they'll be of use. The 20P lists the V18A/MTQ in the TOC.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks