• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Gasser questions

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a water cooled gasser air compressor, for the reo. Pulled the drivetrain, and it is sitting on the shelf. (I have a heavy duty shelf, LOL...)

mech

I am not sure what upgrades it has or doen't have. The wiring has been converted to 12vlt. Have the one ton, fuel and trailer ready to pick it up saturday. Drive south and pick up the multifuel and parts.

Barrman

The water cooled air compressor didn't stay around long. Maybe to 1957 before they switched them all out. Mine are a '52 and a '53 that both left the service in 1956 to go work for a contractor. That is how they still have the water cooled compressor and clam shell air regulator. I don't need it for daily transportation, so I kept those neat old things on the truck.

Most of the gasser trucks are hard to start hot in hot temps. Remove the hood side covers and it will help some. I have found my best bet is to floor it and cut off the ignition as it starts to rev. Then use the hand throttle to keep the pedal all the way down while it is off. I start it with it still floored and release the hand throttle once it catches.

Lowering the float will help, but you have to go so low to be effective hot starting that the engine then has no top end without cutting out.

mech

Thanks. I still plan on swapping the engine out. But that may change as the gas engine is in greate shape. The trip went good. Had to change the water pump on my 03 dodge one ton by st.louis, mo. Think i got a bad tank of fuel. Acts like it has algi in it. Took my time and let the truck and trailer cool down about every 150 miles. With the summer heat i didn't want to loose any tires.

gungearz

That sucks... Looks like Webe been having fuel problems lately. Check out the " new gasoline contamination" thread. Make sure you put additives in your gassers tank.

No.2Diesel

Cool Truck!

Hi,

Awesome find mech! If it's not shop built...The bed and winch appear to be from a WWII IHC M5-H6 oilfield Deuce. The beds were manufactured by Tulsa Body Works. Post some detailed shots of the bed and winch when you can, they would be greatly appreciated.

I agree about swapping to a Multifuel/Diesel, it'll be easier to operate and maintain in the longterm.

All you need to finish it off is a nice headache rack and a front winch. Keep us posted and good luck with the rest of the project.

Welder Sam

Hi,

Awesome find mech!
All you need to finish it off is a nice headache rack and a front winch. Keep us posted and good luck with the rest of the project.
you've got a complete front winch whenever you're ready brother. i really like the square tank. some like them would do great on my crewcab! 4 50gal tanks... wow... thats serious money to fill...

Last edited:

JasonS

Most of the gasser trucks are hard to start hot in hot temps. Remove the hood side covers and it will help some. I have found my best bet is to floor it and cut off the ignition as it starts to rev. Then use the hand throttle to keep the pedal all the way down while it is off. I start it with it still floored and release the hand throttle once it catches.

Lowering the float will help, but you have to go so low to be effective hot starting that the engine then has no top end without cutting out.
I did a few things which GREATLY helped a hot start. The first was using a holley 2300 carb which better tolerates a hot soak and a paper filter which lets the vapors escape. A 12V armature helped spin the engine faster, and electronic civilian ignitiion gave a hotter spark.

mech

Thanks sam. Hopefully it wont be long in the future a i will have that front winch.
The carb is stock but the points and plugs are civillian. Starts pretty good so far.

The bed is built out of 6" x4"x1/4" i beam. It was originally a wood deck. Somebody covered it over with diamond plate. The rear roller assembly is a tulsa brand. The sides of the bed are reccesed for the gin poles to be stored. Have to cut some channel and diamond plate off to get it functional.

Attachments

No.2Diesel

More IH M5-H6 Bed Pics

Hi,

Thank you for the pics. Interesting, haha I can't believe someone would lay down steel plate over existing wood decking without removing the wood first. It looks like they added some c-channel here and there for stake pockets etc. and like you said, in the process they made the oilfield bed not as functional as it was originally designed by covering the trough for the gin poles.

It does appear to be a WWII IH oilfield bed. There's not much info or photos out there but here are some pics I found on the net of IH M5-H6s to confirm.

Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

mech

Thanks for the info. I plan on returning the bed to original. I think it will look better with the wood decking. That also explains where the winch came from. I will post some more pics when the beds done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks