• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 hot water heater

DIESELGREEN

Ok, got myself a complete hot water cab heater kit for the deuce. Got it used, looks like I have everything I need for the installation. I have pretty much figured out how everything goes together, just wondering how to wire it up and run the ducting properly. I have been searching the site and Googling for an hour now and have not come up with much. ( Doghead, I have applied effort, respectively ;) haha) any help or maybe installation instructions would be great. I looked thru Jatonka's tms, found a parts breakdown, that was about it. Today in GA was just cold enough to piss me off, now that I've had this heater kit for 3 months and have not installed it yet. Tomorrow will be the day.

Truckoholic

I just installed one in my 67 M35 a few weeks ago. Rather than trying to mount it up in the engine compartment like the instructions were trying to tell me to do, and running the ducting through the firewall, and losing precious heat, I just mounted mine under the dash on the passenger side. I had seen that other guys had done it that way, and that's how the one in my 66 M35 is installed. I think it's much better, because that way you are recirculating the warm air, rather than constantly sucking in new cold air too.

I ran out of time and did not manage to run the ducting up to the windshield defrosters yet, but the heater works so well with the warm air just blowing out under the dash, that it hasn't been a problem yet. I also did not take the time to wire up the resistor to where the switch gives you high and low speeds. So mine is either on or off right now. Not enough time lately to do things thoroughly.

Since I decided to mount mine where I did, of course the engine water hoses that came with the kit were not long enough, so I had to go to the auto parts store and get some longer ones. Even though my heater kit came with instructions, they were not very helpful, and did not tell me where I needed to attach the hoses to the engine to get the water to flow through the heater core. So that took some trial and error figuring out where I had pressure around the water pump. Wish it wasn't dark out now, or I would go out and get some pictures to include in this post. Maybe I'll ad some tomorrow.

wikallen

I can not find the TM for the m35 in my collection, but I found the 5-ton instructions, which is probably close enough.

Attachments

91W350

We had about 60 five tons come through the yard over the past few months. These were M820 and M813 trucks. They are normally mounted on the right front inner fender, however a few were mounted on the left front inner fender. You should have the heater box with fan and four small brackets to mount to the fender. Then a duct to the fire wall, and an elbow, from the elbow a duct that runs to the defroster box in the middle of the dash on the firewall. Two smaller ducts up to the defroster vents. There is normally a small bracket that mounts in the dash and has two cables to control the baffles on the air intake and the defroster. Two smaller ducts to run up to the defroster vents. Some trucks have three position switches with a resistor for high and low. A lot just have an off/on switch.

If mounting on the left fender, you need a defroster box that has the air intake on the driver's side. If mounting it under the glove box or right inner fender, you need the air intake on the right side of the defroster box. The fans and intakes are mounted on the air box, but can be easily switched from one side to the other. Glen

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Under the dash is a much better setup.
For several reasons.....the best is that with the heater in the engine compartment you have to work around it to do repairs.

My work deuce has it on the drivers side fender and it is a major PITA to work on the IP or even change the fuel filters.

I plan to change it out as soon as possible.

In my opinion you get much better heat from an in-cab unit and it is not as exposed to the elements.

Boatcarpenter

Here is a picture of the heater hose hookup to the engine. Many have gotten it wrong and never get hot water to the heater core.
If I recall correctly the heater is wired to the horn breaker. You need to mount the resistor to the firewall and wire that in for the low blower speed. Pretty straight forward.
Connecting the defrost hoses can be a PITA.
Good luck with the install.

Attachments

PoppaSmurph

Ok I hate to revive an old OLD thread but...I have an M35 with the REO engine and just acquired an in cab personnel heater, does anyone know where to hook up the water lines on this engine?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Just one of many threads covering this topic , searched.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Talk about getting SLAMMED
i maybe from NJ and we always said Hot Water Heater and others from around the country took me to task saying " what is there a cold water heater?"
My favorite is when washing up in the shop Guy says where are you from, I said NJ. He says " Which Exit?"
Got slammed everytime but then we had hot water heaters and telly poles and the shore and under the boardwalk + many things then others see but just want to critizize. But one CAN not win over US

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I spent many hours deleting the "hot water heater" and making the water sytem so it could get filtered and protect my engine.
I have the answers and photos. Ask.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Just one of many threads covering this topic , searched.
He has the Reo gas engine, link is for multi-fuel.

PoppaSmurph

The problem I'm having is this engine is OLD and not taken care of if I dont HAVE to mess with something I would rather not. I'm just looking to see if anyone knows where the two water hose bungs would be.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, I missed the engine detail. I’ll search some more.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, the info you need is shown in this thread. The pictures from the techmanual are readable if you export the picture and expand it.

Post # 4 and 6.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks