• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 recovery today Gotta love the deuce

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok I know nopics but there will be no pictures beacuse we took zero.

Any how. Today a couple of friends and myself recovered a deuce from a salvage yard. 2 days ago we tried to simply get the truck winched onto a trailer to get it home. She would not budge. The brakes were stuck to the drum. The truck had been sitting in place for 5 years.

Today we returned with 2 new batteries and the truck started up and drove out of the yard!!!! We made no adjustments, used the 5 year old fuel in the tank. She caught on the second hit of the stater button. All kinds of crap had flew out of the stack. Settled down to a very good idle.

Put the truck in reverse and broke the brakes free. The hardest part of the whole thing was putting the batteries in.

Brakes are good and all electrics work.

You just have to admire a vehicle that can do that :D

Chuck

CanonNinja

Congrats! Another one saved! I keep telling people that ask, find me another vehicle that can survive the abuse and drive away after years of nothing and still go strong at 40 years old

willysmd

Re: RE: M35 recovery today Gotta love the deuce

CanonNinja said:
Congrats! Another one saved! I keep telling people that ask, find me another vehicle that can survive the abuse and drive away after years of nothing and still go strong at 40 years old
M38A1 Jeep :lol:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: M35 recovery today Gotta love the deuce

How much does one pay for a bone yard M35A2 that can run? Just curious.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: M35 recovery today Gotta love the deuce

WOW, another one :shock: . That's two in one day! Congrats Chuck. So, you forgot us? No pics? How 'bout after you got it home? :wink:

CanonNinja

Re: RE: M35 recovery today Gotta love the deuce

willysmd said:
CanonNinja said:
M38A1 Jeep :lol:

illegal move :lol:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny

The trucks I got out of the yard were in very good condition. The owner had bought the 2 M35s at a GSA sale back in 2002. He let them both sit since purchase. I paid him what he got the trucks for in 2002, which is a good deal these days

I hope the other truck is good. The starter for it was laying in the seat so its a wait and see thing. AL seems well with it other wise

The guy also had a an orginal CCKW firetruck that I picked up. An original US ARMY CCKW is a very rare bird indeed. The plan is to completly restore that one. It won't take much as this truck was only taken out of service 2 years ago.

The 2 deuces will be for sale.

Chuck H

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wait…….did I read that correctly? The CCKW was taken out of service 2 years ago?

If so, that's an impressive feat……60+ years on the job…..I guess it deserves an easy retirement..:p

Oh…and there is a CCKW in a junkyard in Ballground if you need some rusty parts……see link below

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/clinto1/The MV graveyard/?start=all

FrankUSMC

Chuck
I have two WWII Marine Corps M3-4 firetrucks. Let me know if you need any firefighting stuff. I have several 30 pound fire extenguisers with WWII dates stamped into them.
16 of my 20 years in the Marines were spent as a fire fighter.
One of the few, Frank
PS, I just saved a perfect WWII green duck canvas fire coat last week from being given to the church garage sell.
The Bride was cleaning out the coat closit and found the fire coat, sence she has never seen me wear it. It went into the pile going to the church garage sell. Thank God I saw it!.....ok, I will put a little extra in the collection plate on Sunday...

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
several years ago i flew to tulsa from baltimore with a bag of tools. it took 3 hours to prep this trucks engine for starting, it had not been run in 18 years, the turbo was stuck and the oil in the engine had completely run back to the pan and all the bearings were dry. i drove it back to baltimore, it took 30 driving hours at almost max speed of 40 mph.

Attachments

DMgunn

Great stories.....especially Tom's. And I thought mine was unique....

My 5-ton was one of those "ran when parked" deals. They couldn't remember how long it had been sitting. I won't say it started right up and ran great, but after we replaced the spark plugs and gas, it started immediately, and settled into an idle without any "dancing on the pedal" whatsoever. All the lights (except taillights, which are missing) work, all the gauges work (and illuminate) minus the water temp, and it even builds air psi and shifts like it's supposed to. I really couldn't be happier, and I'm afraid I will never be able to part with the thing.

There really is nothing like it.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats right the old CCKW was an active pumper up until 2 years ago. I will post some pics. Some of the deuce too

Chuck H