• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Tires

houdel

It is hard to say the size definitively from the photo, but the from tread pattern they are Michelin XL tires. Among other sizes, they are made in 9:00R20 and 11:00R20, but the tires in the photo look too large to be 9:00s. I'd guess they are 11:00R20s, and yes they will fit on a stock Deuce rim, which is 7.5" wide and (at least according to what is stamped on my rims) are rated for up to 12:00 wide tires. I don't know if that holds true for 12:00 radials in a dual configuration as the rim was spec'd long before the military adopted radials. Radials bulge more at the bottom than do bias ply tires, so there is a possibility of sidewall to sidewall contact with dual 12:00R20s on a Deuce. At least one member on this forum has posted pics of 11:00R20s on his Deuce with no issue of the sidewalls contacting.

jasonjc said:
I'd bet that they are 11.00R20's They look taller and narrower then the 12.50R20's
Agreed, 12:50s are 13.1" wide, require 11" wide rims and are not rated for duals. Those appear to be stock Deuce rims so the 12:50s would not fit. To get them to fit as duals would require wider rims in order to mount them, more backspace to space the tires further apart so they didn't rub, and would result in the outside of the tires being outboard of the truck bed. 11:00R20s they almost certainly are.

As for finding them, used/surplus are pretty scarce in either the 9:00 or 11:00 sizes. There are plenty of 14:50 and 15:50 XLs on the market which are great for super singles, but they are too wide for the Deuce rim, and should be mounted on a 10" wide rim. Again, to prove very few things are impossible, I do recall one posting on this forum by a person who stated he had mounted the wider tires on a stock Deuce rim. He said it was a lot of effort to get them mounted, and the tires bulged a bit more than normal, but other than that worked fine.