• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 TRANS SWAP?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WHY?
Sorry, thought you might be a bit deef since you were yelling :wink:
Remember, these trucks were designed to stop from the speeds they do stock ,2cents

Westech

CPL
and good luck finding one short enough to fit and not have to move the t case and redo all the drive shafts.... and the trucks get a little shaky after 70 MPH, and yes I know this first hand.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree closer gearing would make a big difference in towing heavy loads. With the stock trans you end up winding the engine up to redline only to shift and start lugging the engine (which is bad for diesel engines).

A 10 speed is going to be a much bigger trans than what's in there so I don't see any way to get by without moving the t-case at the very least. I've thought about a air-shift aux. box behind the t-case ( would work like two speed rears in a 2-ton truck) but you would have to remember to have it in 1:1 if you shift the front axle in (wouldn't work at all with a sprag case).

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
1 - 5 in low range and them 4 and 5 in high range works well for me with heavy loads. After looking at trans swap threads, I will be happy to stay with stock stuff.

Westech

CPL
see here is my two cents on the deuce.... heavy loads? get a 5 ton with a cummins. Even with a 10000 speed trans there is just not enough power to move anything fast. (I have over 15k miles in a deuce and drive across the country towing all sorts of crap) I had my fuel CRANKED and yeah it was ok but the hills just kill that thing. Yeah I would like to install a 8 speed or whatever but its like feeding a dead horse, just not worth it! I would get a 813 (or like truck) and use that cummins to its full power. stick a 8 speed in that. Its like tricking out a S10 ... still cant haul crap.

emr

Westech said:
see here is my two cents on the deuce.... heavy loads? get a 5 ton with a cummins. Even with a 10000 speed trans there is just not enough power to move anything fast. (I have over 15k miles in a deuce and drive across the country towing all sorts of crap) I had my fuel CRANKED and yeah it was ok but the hills just kill that thing. Yeah I would like to install a 8 speed or whatever but its like feeding a dead horse, just not worth it! I would get a 813 (or like truck) and use that cummins to its full power. stick a 8 speed in that. Its like tricking out a S10 ... still cant haul crap.
truer words have not been spoken...Randy

Rolling_Eudaimonia

I bet a modern Eaton-Fuller 6spd Medium Duty transmission would make driving more fun. The ratios are better spread out and they cover more speeds that would help you keep up the engine speed of the deuce why still not over speeding the drive-train. The best part is they are the same size. I think that would be the best way to modernize the M35A2 and still maintain a lot of the M35A2's off-road capabilities as well.

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We always split shifted the deuce tranny when loaded heavy. Worked for us. The deuce is not desgined to run fast, just run places others could not go.
Besides when you go slow everyone can see you better. Gives then a chance to stare longer, or even get pics.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rhinomike said:
Has anyone put an automatic tranny in like a allison 1000 or 2000 like in a topkick
Discussed this with Inland Truck Parts - they are an allison dealer and the darn things are very costly new. There is a kit to make it work without an electronic engine.

On the 1000, 6 speeds and a 0.61 OD with lockup is cool.

Note the HP and torque figures.
Input Torque Gross
N•m (lb-ft)
780 (575)
746 (550)
610 (450)
746 (550)
Input Power Gross(2)
Kw (hp)
224 (300)
224 (300)
149 (200)
224 (300)

Would a 300FT-LB deuce engine even drive that? I don't know much about what minimum requirements an automatic might have if any.

engine housing to output flange on the 1000:
729 mm (28.7 in) (SAE #3)
739 mm (29.1 in) (SAE #2)

so how would that fit? The other thing is cooling it. The deuce does not like so much as an air conditioner condenser in front of the radiator in the summer. Too bad this kind of overdrive lockup model does not come in a non-electronic version, would be much cheaper. If anyone's done something like this I'd like to see it!

bottleworks

OPCOM said:
The other thing is cooling it. The deuce does not like so much as an air conditioner condenser in front of the radiator in the summer. Too bad this kind of overdrive lockup model does not come in a non-electronic version, would be much cheaper. If anyone's done something like this I'd like to see it!
You would want to use a oil to coolant heat exchanger. Not a standalone oil to air like in a car or pickup. The trans heat is dumped into the engine's cooling system. Then the radiator dissipates the heat.

I got to tour the Allison plant a couple weeks ago and followed the 1000 assembly line. Absolutely amazing. I had a class there on the Allison EP 40/50 hybrid-electric system. Now that's a system I would like in my Deuce. But it costs as much as a small house!!

OPCOM said:
If anyone's done something like this I'd like to see it!
I will be putting an Allison in my Deuce in the next couple years. It's just a matter of finding the right deal.

OPCOM, what's up with this anti-electronics on the transmission? It's right up your alley. The systems are simple.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks