• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 useless fact for the day

Barrman

I needed more 55 gallon drums for my on going WMO works. Kwai wanted some barrels as well since I was making a run. I had no clue how many drums would fit in the bed of a M35, but I planned to buy up to 20 of them. Turns out that 28 will fit in the bed and barely be above the troop seats. 32 will fit with 4 being just a hair above the cab top.

I only had the money to buy 20, so 14 of them got neatly stacked in two rows while the last 6 just got stood up. If you look at the picture below, you can see how another barrel can easily be added to the current stack and still not be in danger of falling off. The troop seat support seen in the picture is the 3rd or middle one showing that 2 more rows will easily fit.

Here is a M35 tech tip. Even though you might hit your tires with a club or hammer and they sound right, use a gauge and make sure. My truck has covered more than 1200 miles in the last few months with no tire issues. They were checked in October when I picked it up in OKC. I just thumped the tires and they sounded ok since. Running to pick up the barrels last night I noticed a vibration that would come and go in kind of a pattern. I had changed out the brand new spare for the worn right front tire a few days ago, so I just thought it was that tire making itself round again. 10-15 miles later, I started wondering about some kind of drivetrain balance problem. So, I sped up to 56 from my cruising speed of 48. That didn't help, so I went down to 42 with no difference.

Loaded with 20 empty barrels, it didn't vibrate a bit going home no matter what speed I ran so I was convinced it was a rear tire out of balance or something.

I checked the psi today and found two of them less than 10. All were less than 40. I put them all up to 50 and went for a high speed run. SMOOOOOOTH is how it was. Check your psi every few weeks no matter how the tires sound when you thump them.

Attachments

randyscycle

Thanks for the tire tip, Tim! I also had a similar vibration that would come in at exactly 48 MPH (on the GPS) It was the farthest rear inner RH tire at about 12 lbs. Aired it up and she's smooth as glass now. Never thought a tire could do that. I was convinced a tire was out of balance.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Tim, you guys need to find some of those IBCs. Your gonna put those in your 105 fuel trailer, or are those the barrels your gonna leave at colletion points?

Hammer

By eyeballing it I would guess around 20 standing.
But I haven't had enough to make it more then a guess.

Barrman

I already unloaded all the barrels, I am not throwing them back up, so I don't know the standing up answer. However, just going by size. 3 across left to right is all that will fit in a line. They can be staggered to get 4. Each barrel takes just a hair less than 2 feel diameter. That gives you 6 rows of 3 with no stagger and a bunch of space left over. I "think" that a stagger can give you 5 rows of 4. This is for tail gate up by the way. Tailgate out and you can add in the last stagger or another row. Figure 18-20 loaded barrels. 20 barrels loaded with oil will be 8800 pounds by the way. Should be a smooth ride.

10 of the barrels go to Kwai Chris. I started out with 7 in my M105 for oil pick ups. I left 4 at places so I "know" the oil will not be saturated with leaves and water. A fence line of 1 and 5 gallon containers like I have found at 3 ranches so far seem to collect water and leaves even though they were all covered up.

So, yes these are to refill the 105 for pick up and to leave at places as I find more "donors."

Is an IBC one of those little square plastic containers that are made to be picked up with fork lifts?

I found a guy who does mobile oil changes. He has a drum mounted horizontally on a trailer. I can't think of a way to get his oil into my trailer besides the "fill the 5 gallon bucket up and dump it in" method. I haven't met the guy yet, he called me because the manager at O-Reilly's keeps clean wMO out for me and told him about me. Once I see his set up, I might make an air fitting on whichever sized bung he has on top, figure out what sized hose will fit his drain valve and use air to push the oil up and out.

After I found the low tires on the multifuel, I got ambitious and went about fixing the flat on the inner rear of the Gasser. I had "thunked" the tires before I drove the truck to a Scout meeting. It had a vibration, but it was only a 5 mile drive each way and I chalked it up to cold tires. The next morning I went to drive the truck to a parade in Austin. I thunked the tires and that one sounded bad. I went to add air and the valve stem was gone. The M715 made the parade and the Gasser has sat since November.

I pulled it apart and found a cut in the tube from the valve stem. I patched that figuring it happened after the tire went flat and couldn't find any more. I made it really big and dipped it in the horse water tank. (The horses really like the white chalky residue a tube leaves in their tank by the way. ) Still no leaks. I pulled the valves stem and put the tire back together. All aired up I could hear a leak. It was the valve stem core. I pulled it out, cleaned it and put it in. Several times. I ran a tap through the threads and did it again. Still leaked. The 4th different core I tried finally had no leaks. I ended up putting one of those chrome hex nut shaped caps with a seal on it since the inner tires are such a pain even though no bubbles showed up when I put water to it.

I told all of that to justify this. These tires are so thick and hard that even a little pressure sounds like a good thump. Especially, if the engine is warming up while you are hitting them. I would suggest a push test. A finger to the side wall just hurts on a full tire. A low tire actually moves a little and a flat tire moves just a little more. I will be using a big tire gauge to push on the sidewalls from now on. If it moves, I will have the tool in my hand to check the actually psi.

reloader64

Good advice, Barrman. I picked up my deuce from Norman, OK on Tuesday, 01-06-09. Sgt. Lee (thanks for the help) drove it on the trailer. As he maneuvered around, I noticed the tires had flat spots on them. I attributed this to sitting for an extended period of time. When I got it home, I drove it about 1 1/2 miles, and, boy did it ride rough. On Thursday, I actually checked the air pressure in the tires. None were over 20 lbs., and 4 or 5 were basically flat. Aired them up, drove about 10 miles, and it rode like a Cadillac. Well, a very heavilly sprung Cadillac. I am fixing to (preparing, for our Northern brethren) see if I can break down the one leaker I have and fix it.
Wish me luck!

Scott Post

Barrman

Yeah, I don't know the deal with OK. All 4 of the trucks we pick up there had less than 10 in each tire. Using a M35 for air, it took almost 3 hours to get all 44 tires up to 30. Going to 50 would have taken too long.

It is probably because the trucks have just been sitting for a long time.

reloader64

Gimpyrobb, thanks for the link. I read the OSHA recommended procedure, which says basically the same thing. I am actually making the right moves, but the tire is stuck solidly to the wheel. I'm assuming that the tires have been on the wheels for years. I will take it to a truck tire place today, and have them break it down for me.

Barrman

Just get a duck billed hammer. Get the fiberglass handle model. I have gone through two of the wood handles now. Probably 6 tires broken down on the first one learning and probably 30 tires on the second handle. It just takes one wrong swing to break the wood handle though. NAPA has them as will just about any truck stop.

reloader64

I was using a duck bill hammer, and an accessory hammer, and a 16 lb. sledge hammer, and a 60 lb. electric jack hammer with a 4" bit on it. (Hope OSHA isn't monitoring this post.):roll:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I don't know the deal with OK. All 4 of the trucks we pick up there had less than 10 in each tire. Using a M35 for air, it took almost 3 hours to get all 44 tires up to 30. Going to 50 would have taken too long.

It is probably because the trucks have just been sitting for a long time.
Barrman,

If you would have asked I could have let you use the air hose by the main office that the truckers use. It is only hooked up to a 200 gallon tank.

I just thought that you wanted to exercise the air pumps on the trucks....LOL

I still have over 50 of the 250 gal plastic totes that you can use.

Warthog

Last edited: