• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Wheels

jeli

RE: Re: RE: now thats a nice looking rim

What is a Dayton wheel? I was thinking of using wheels that go on the five spoke cast iron hubs.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

That is a dayton wheel 5 spokes with wedges that center the wheel when tightening. A budd wheel has a solid center with holes for the axle and studes like a duece and 5 ton wheel

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: now thats a nice looking rim

rdixiemiller said:
You could make a wheel like some of the 5 tons use, mount it one way for the rears, the other way for the fronts. This way you could get the wheels tracking straight without flipping the hubs. If you already had flipped hubs, the wheels would still work, as you would just mount them the same as the fronts.
Sounds like a good idea D-Man, see what you can come up with.
What about the low spot for seating the tubeless tires? Seeing the picture I recall this very issue on a step-van I used to have. The tubeless rims would not fit over the rear brake drums so I had to keep the split rims on that beast.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Want some super wheels for your super singles...? :)
Here they are, at least on the screen... HD1 pc, drop center, tubeless, 11x20 MPT for 14.5R20s (365/80R20) (A3 size!), stamped center disk pressed in and MIG welded, reduced backspace for greater stability and ... reversible (No hub flip needed)!!! :wink:
Valve stem can be fitted on either side or even both sides.

10x20 rims would look very similar only flanges are 1.5" high so the drop center (well) needs to be deeper to get the tire beads over the flanges.
More drawings? Ready to start mass production? :lol:

Gerhard

Attachments

devilman96

OK guys... I should have some wheels to show off shortly, It will take about 2 weeks to get them made, balanced and powder coated... I needed a set for the long haul in May any ways so we will see how these turn out.

First run will be solid centers, I will work out doing some stock looking plate cuts there after. Function before form... I am using Gerhard's 11X20 back spacing design above so they will be a double sided reversible wheel assy (like the 5 tons) and SHOULD work on flipped and un flipped hubs front or rear. Drop center will be around 17" dia, it will be a tight squeeze for Mil tires but shouldn't be an issue. I will be mounting 395 85 R20's on the truck so this should be interesting. They will be available in gray primer or in the raw if you prefer and static balanced for OFF ROAD USE ONLY!!!

Now... If someone want to say... go "highway speed"... and wanted less vibration for what ever YOUR use is... dynamic balancing the wheel before mounting the tires will be needed. This would be a matter of taking them to a truck shop, having the wheels spun and having them add weight to the wheel (welded)... If your asking why I am not doing this... Because I cant encourage on road use of them. Once the wheel is balanced you never need to do it again... Tires... those are up to you... I will be opting for dyna beads.

Thus far I don't see any need to change the price but I would like to get the one set under my belt and make sure there are no hiccups to the ordeal so give me the week or two and I will get some pics posted. Then I will offer the truck up for some test drives at Aberdeen to see what people think of them as far as handling and performance goes.

mtroxler

Gerhard:
Great mechanical drawings! I like those graphics. What program did you use to do the drawings?

Mark

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: now thats a nice looking rim

mtroxler said:
....What program did you use to do the drawings?
Thanks! It's just Microsoft Paint, 5.1 version.
For this particular case, convert inches to mm and take 2 bits= 1mm

Blythewoodjoe

I would like to encourage people to buy such rims if I may. I had an old tire guy look at one of the 14.5's I have and he said to put baby powder between the tube and tire. He said these tires are not made for tubes and they will wear out a tube. The powder would help. What's my point?

$50 for used tire
$35 for tube
$35 for flap
Time and material for home made rim? $30?

The rim is reusable and flap too, but I will need a new tube with each tire. That basically changes the tire price to $85 each time I ware one out. Eventually your rims would pay for them selves if you are going to drive alot and ware out tires. You folks do the math. If you don't plan to drive much the home made stuff would get you by cheaper but it would be a lot more work.

Just thought I would pass that info on. I like rims. Have you checked to see if they will clear the front brake drum?

Joe Trapp

devilman96

how come 11x20? I thought the super singles used a 10inch rim
Because the Military list 395's as 10" and the civilian world 11" this is due to the wide use of split rims, lock rings, etc in the military... If you look up a 395 as an example under a civilian application it will be listed as using a 11" wheel. In the civilian world there is no 20X10, it would have to be custom made, so rather than taking a mass produced wheel shell and making the correct center for it I would also have to produce the shell its self... The wheel cost would double or triple...

Good looking wheels. Painted OD green they will look fine. For that matter, plate centers would be fine, as the A3 wheels are solid across the center section.
A3 wheels are still in the works.. I am still in need a finding a A3 to build from and have not located a reasonable source for one..

These were made after Gerhard's drawings and are reversible, will fit front or rear, with and without hub flips... I am not sold on the "cup" cuts in the center section yet... I am waiting to see how they look after getting them on the truck. I MAY tone the cut depth down a bit or I may for go them all together... kinda undecided.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Under those cuts would be a great place for a short valve stem. Could air the tire from either side. I like them alot. I've seen a few folks question if the front wheel will clear drum. Think it will?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks