• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35

Barrman

I have two, have passed on two others around me, know of between 6 and 15 here on SS and have seen magazines with Gassers who are owned by people not SS members. Not really anyway to get an accurate count. I would guess however that there are less than 20 running, driving, painted and perfectly mechanical shape with everything working Gassers still on the road. Probably several hundred used as farm or ranch vehicles though.

armytruck63

A friend of mine has a gasser in Long Beach, CA. I don't know the year. It's a little rough, but it does run and we take it to local parades.

Before you say nopics, I'll look aroound to see if I have any of this truck.

Barrman

I wrote it was just a guess.

A year ago I was at AB Linn's place in NC. I had a list of Gasser specific parts I was going down. He finally said something like this. "We used to go to auctions after the multifuel came out and there would be OA331's lined up in rows. Brand new never fired up in the can. Nobody wanted them, they were worth more scrap than parts. I bought some, they sat for years, nobody even asked about them. I scrapped them out 5-10 years ago just to make room." When the military started taking running, driving Gasser trucks and putting the multi fuel engine in, they reduced the supply down to just about the only survivors being ones already auctioned out of the inventory.

My two were bought by an individual some time around 1958 or 1959. I have no idea how many others were sold to individuals or other countries before they all got converted. I was just going by what I have seen regarding other Gasser owners posting up here, MVM and the MVPA magazines.

However, even with the small numbers. Or seemingly small number of trucks. Parts are still readily available. Antelope Valley and a few others that advertise in the mentioned magazines have just about all the Gasser specific parts you could ever want. The OA 331 being made as a civilian engine for years helps too.

Since it uses twice the fuel as my whistler, I usually drive it just once a week at most and for parades. The multifuel gets used just about daily. If I had to only have a single duece, it would be the whistler because I could use it for more things.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have more connections than the phone room at NORAD, who you foolin? Is that 756 a gasser?

tjphoto

I have one with a really nice work van. Runs great starts right up likes to back fire real loud about 4 seconds after shutdown. Its a 52 Kaiser with only 15000 miles. Been thinking about selling it but not just yet. Lots of fun to drive.

waayfast

My 57 Utica-Bend is a Gasser (avatar).There is another Gasser here locally.Complete--ran when parked.Asked them about buying it 2 yrs ago.They said they were gonna use it- not fer sale! Has never moved except for slowly sinking into the mud.

AR-MOG-GEDDON

I have a 61 REO Gasser that runs good for a 49 year old 6 banger. The odomiter says 8000 miles, I always thought it ment 108000, but it was a decon truck, so it may not have been driven much. I have a cargo bed to put on the back as the original M9 decon aperatus was most probably kept when the truck was auctioned, as there was a tractor trailer hitch on the back when I got it

johnson

I have a friend who has a 1961 REO M35 Gasser that he is working on. It runs and drives, and he hopes to have it looking like an army truck again by the end of the summer. He tried posting about it, but his posts have to be approved by an admin first. I told him to post some pics, but he can't do that either. The odometer says 8000 miles??? And some of the tires he pulled off it were date coded 1961. It has what looks like a winch off a 5 ton, only turned around.

Barrman

A few of my tires are date stamped 1952. They are still stuck to the M34 rims waiting for me to break another duck billed hammer handle on them.

Crazyguyla

My buddy and I just recovered a 1960 gasser, trying to get it running but were lost:-x
What have you ttried so far? I worked on my gasser for 3 wks trying to get it to run, finally cleaned the points and it fired right up.

I have a M45 Compressor truck.

WOLFMAN1

this threads alittle old so i'll fire my input. i own a 1952 studebaker gasser with a reo oa331 engine. mine runs and drives. the body is good shape for as old as it is. not much rust needs tlc and touch up for the paint. so add mine to the existing running and drivable deuces. people say gassers aint worth much but they are becoming extinct.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks