• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M353 lunette height

drivebymashing

I towed a m105a2 behind a half ton chevy with a pintle height of 15 inches. It was pretty low. Would i be able to tow a m353 with around the same low pintle? I have searched and not much info on m353 compared to 105a2.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The way that trailer steps down after the tongue would likely preclude you from using a hitch that close to the ground.

FloridaAKM

I have towed an M105a2 trailer & an M353 trailer with a 20" height pintle on a Toyota Tacoma with no problems except the bouncing on the M353. The M105a2 pulls like a dream & stops with no problems if you watch road conditions. The M353 has a tongue weight of 370#s so it will lower your truck a bit when you hook it up, so that may be a problem with a 15" pintle height! If you do hook it up, make sure to rotate both front tires up & pin them in place securely! Here is the data plate!

IMG_M353 data plate.jpg

Last edited:

drivebymashing

Ok thanks I bought a 12 inch riser to so it brings it up 10 inches or so. Should be plenty thanks for info. Ill be pulling it with a ford ranger if you used a Toyota that should be about the same.

FloridaAKM

Watch out that you don't get too much leverage from the trailer transferred to the riser & damage or worst case, break it off. The M105A2, even though they weigh the same, has 3/4 the tongue weight of the M353! Good luck on your project!

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

Okay, after looking @ the data plates again:
M-353 is 370#s tongue weight empty
M-105 is 310#s tongue weight empty
M1101 is 250#s tongue weight according to you as I don't have those data plates
My M1102's have a max tongue weight of 420 #s, but not a empty weight.

Yes, I know that both M1101 & M1102 are the same with different weight class data plates for the Hmmvee.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
By myself I have to use a high lift jack to hook mine up to civi truck due the dolly wheels not lowering it enough to get it on the pintle. The tongue weight is every bit of 370 when it is low to the ground.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have towed a M105 and a M353 with my pickup with a tall pintle and you will have to use jack or high lift jack to get it on there.
When I pickup my m353 I was thinking it was not going to work due to the step it has, but it did.
If you are pulling it unloaded it will beat you around in the pickup. Air the tries way down.

Attachments

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

Thank you for backing up my posts. Here is an odd detail omitted here. The GP rep towed my M353 from North Jacksonville to Lake Butler with a larger truck @ 70 mph with no bouncing. When I towed it the last 15 miles home, it started bouncing after 32 mph & stopped @ 30 mph. I didn't think to air the tires down for some stupid reason! Next time I tow it, it will be loaded or the tires aired down to pull better!
I have towed a M105 and a M353 with my pickup with a tall pintle and you will have to use jack or high lift jack to get it on there.
When I pickup my m353 I was thinking it was not going to work due to the step it has, but it did.
If you are pulling it unloaded it will beat you around in the pickup. Air the tries way down.

drivebymashing

Ok well good things its only 350 miles away!! Dangit!!I have had some great trucks over the years 1999 1 ton 7.3 crew cab, 2000 f250 v10 crew cab, 1989 f250 flatbed. Now i have a vette....

drivebymashing

I have thought about it but with a 24 inch rise and a pintle adpater down to 1 1/4 adapter.... The brakes and power are deffineatly there. I can just imagine fiberglass pieces being left behind when i nail it with the trailer hooked to it.

drivebymashing

20160429_155515.jpg
Brought my m353 home safely. The trailer pulled easily plenty of power and braking was easy on the ranger (not mine). The 15 or so leaf springs on each side on the trailer absolutely beat my brains out. Im pretty sure i have permanent brain and spine damage.

drivebymashing

You werent joking .It was defiantly bad almost unbearable. IF this had been through south carolina or some state with even worse roads Id be paralized. Does this trailer jerk a bigger truck around so bad? Like a 3/4 ton or a deuce? You cant even tell the m1101 is even behind the deuce at all. No noise no vibration no nothing.

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I towed my M353 with a 30k gen. on it with my M929 dump truck and I could not tell it was back there.

FloridaAKM

If I had to tow the M353 350 miles, it might still be on the side of the highway! With the tires aired down, it would be a different story as long as the trailer didn't start that bouncing @ 32 mph! The full sized truck that towed it 80 miles had no bouncing @ all? Even @ interstate speeds!

Now the big question. what are you going to do with it since you have it home?

drivebymashing

I aired the tires down to 20psi. It bounced at any speed. Pulled it 250 miles it was something ill never forget. Righ now im thinking 10 foot 6x6s bolted down to make the deck relatively level all the way to the fenders. To have a flat bed style trailer. I really dont know what else to do with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks