• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A Deuce Battery

tmallow2004

What is the type battery I need to ask for when I visit some place like Advanced Auto or Pepboys or Autozone - for a Deuce M35?

Thanks in advance

TexAndy

Also, I believe Exide in San Antonio still makes the big square military batts, new.

Another thing you might consider is putting a battery conditioner/charger with a desulfation mode on them. I got a 24V batteryminder that *appears* to be working on mine.

Keith_J

Also, I believe Exide in San Antonio still makes the big square military batts, new.

Another thing you might consider is putting a battery conditioner/charger with a desulfation mode on them. I got a 24V batteryminder that *appears* to be working on mine.
Sweet! Remember, lead sulfate is the product of battery discharge (which is why the specific gravity drops) and it doesn't conduct electricity very well. This leads to poor capacity from regular charging and use. Deep charging converts this lead sulfate trapped deep in the plates back into lead/lead oxide and sulfuric acid. Lead oxide is the cathode

Either get a good battery hydrometer (floating ball type) or if you are a true gear nut, the Leica refractive type like mkcoen's. Yes, I need one of them. :roll:. And charge according to the hydrometer, not the voltage or automatic cut off.

Why? Capacity is a function of the plate mass and is balanced by the electrolyte. As batteries age, they build up sulfate, the alternator's regulator cuts off the charge rate early because it only "sees" voltage which is a function of the surface charge, not charge at depth (plates have a thickness).

jollyroger

You sound like my Pop's. He owns the first new electric car dealership in Colorado. He tells me ALL about how batteries work. I suppose it helped being a chemist as well. Batteries. Simple but not so simple. There really is a lot to it.

m109guy

I bought mine at NAPA. Commercial truck batteries. #31-110S

1125CCA / 1260CA

They are more expensive than regular car batteries, but they get the deuce started on the first try every time. The are also great on those -20F days we get up here in the winter.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks