• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A1 engine

nb102

I'm finally getting around to start restoring my 62 Studebaker M35A1. But after buying a replacement intake duct for it and finding it doesn't fit my turbo, I'm trying to find out for sure which engine I have. I have do quite a bit of searching but haven't been able to really figure this out.

From what I've found:
  • There is no id tag on the engine that I have seen
  • My truck should have started life with the LDS-427
  • The top of the engine does not have the funnel oil filler
  • The turbo is a Schwitzer 4-456 (for a LDS-465-1? http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?61801-Turbo-part-number-ID)
  • The injection pump is a HD90101A (also for a LDS-465?)
  • The air compressor is a two cylinder version
  • The voltage regulator says 25 amps, 28 volts

Are there any other markings on the block that will give me an idea of which engine I actually have? I searched the numbers I saw but came up with no results. Any other visual differences between the blocks?

Maybe I just have a Frankenstein engine...

Also, anyone know where I can get an intake duct that will fit the 5 ton turbo? I've got a NOS m35a2 intake to trade...

Any help would be much appreciated.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1) See if there is a 1/4" plug to the lower rear of the engine block, so that the dipstick location could be reversed.
2) See if the block has any bosses/ threaded bolt holes for the front engine supports. (pic)
If YES in both cases, then it is NOT a LDS-427

If you have the HD90101A head then your IP probably is a PSB6A 90EH 5828A2, which was mainly used on the 5-ton engines LDS-465-1 and -1A.

G.

Attachments

nb102

Thanks guys. I will have to take a look for those on the block when I get back this afternoon.

On the pics, it keeps giving me an access error... 2 computers have done it so far. Did this to me last time I made a thread too...

JasonS

Not the ones I found in many -A1's down here. They are all the same diameter as the LD/ LDTs.

G.
Don't all of the 4" turbos have the larger diameter inlet (same as the outlet of the deuce air cleaner)? I checked my emails with Memphis, it was for an M35A1.

Last edited:

nb102

2) See if the block has any bosses/ threaded bolt holes for the front engine supports. (pic)
My block does have the threaded bolt holes on the front. It was too dark for me to tell if it has the plug. I don't think its a 427. But are there any visual differences between LDS and LDT 465?

Edit: can now add pics
IMG2938.jpgIMG926.jpgIMG6376.jpg

Last edited:

nb102

Don't all of the 4" turbos have the larger diameter inlet (same as the outlet of the deuce air cleaner)? I checked my emails with Memphis, it was for an M35A1.
I thought this was the case too. All the LDS turbos I have seen in my searching had the larger inlet. Were the turbos upgraded in those a1's?

stb64

I have a 1962 M35A1, too.
The airfilter to turbo pipe is the same diameter at both ends, and the bends are not as sharp as on the A2 pipe. Looks like the one in JasonS' picture.
There is a mfg. date cast into the block just below the data plate. It should be older than 1965 if it is a LDS427-2.
2cylinder air compressor is correct.
Turbo should be a 4-450 for a '62 (similar to the 4-456).
Valve cover could have been replaced.
View attachment 520804
This is not the engine in my truck, mine is dated 62.

nb102

The airfilter to turbo pipe is the same diameter at both ends, and the bends are not as sharp as on the A2 pipe. Looks like the one in JasonS' picture.
There is a mfg. date cast into the block just below the data plate. It should be older than 1965 if it is a LDS427-2.
I was hoping I had a 427 but it doesn't look like I do. The date on my block is 7 26 65 and the turbo has 4-456 on the tag.

1) See if there is a 1/4" plug to the lower rear of the engine block, so that the dipstick location could be reversed.
Yep, this plug is there as well.

The block has the number 10935254 on it, which from looking in the TMs is a non-TD block for the 5 ton. Was this the same number on both LDT and LDS 465s?

brianp454

For some reason the attachment does not work for me. Can you try re-posting? Do others get an error?

I poked around and the 4-450 turbo seems to have been used on late 60's Volvo trucks and buses. Any chance they used the multifuel engine?

2cylinder air compressor is correct.
Turbo should be a 4-450 for a '62 (similar to the 4-456).
Valve cover could have been replaced.
View attachment 520804
This is not the engine in my truck, mine is dated 62.

nb102

I poked around and the 4-450 turbo seems to have been used on late 60's Volvo trucks and buses. Any chance they used the multifuel engine?
Did you find any more out about this? I saw that White was bought by Volvo, but that wasn't until 1981. A multifuel Volvo truck would be an interesting find.

Is the only way to find out whether I have the LDS465 or LDT465 to take a piston out? Or should it be fine with a LDS turbo/IP on a LDT if that's what has been done?

JasonS

Did you find any more out about this? I saw that White was bought by Volvo, but that wasn't until 1981. A multifuel Volvo truck would be an interesting find.

Is the only way to find out whether I have the LDS465 or LDT465 to take a piston out? Or should it be fine with a LDS turbo/IP on a LDT if that's what has been done?
Can't see how it would matter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks