• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a1 heater and motor id

nb102

I recently got a 62 Studebaker m35a1 for my first deuce. This forum has already helped me figure out most of my questions, but there are a few I haven't been able to find much on.

First, has anyone seen an in-cab heater like this? I've only seen the heaters mounted by the engine and I haven't been able to find any info on this one. There was also a blower motor in the truck when I got it, but it doesn't seem to fit with the heater box. Are there parts available for these, or would it be better to sell it for parts?

Second, what do the different cross member mounts look like on the 427 and 465 engines? I looked through some other threads, but I'm still not sure what engine I have. It has the horizontal exhaust but there is no "Hypercycle" tag I've found.... I'll try to get some engine pics tomorrow.

Thanks for this great resource and any help on this!

2013-09-21 1.jpg2013-09-21 2.jpg

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need more information, and more pictures of the heater. Is it a hot water heater, with a radiator in the box in the pictures, or was that out in front by the engine? Or was it gas fired, and the thing in the cab was just a distribution box for defrosters, and a booster motor? Lots of stuff had boxes similiar to that, like International, FWD, & Dodge. Don't be stingy with the pictures. If the motor doesn't quite fit, its probably an after market/replacement, somebody came up with. I graduated from high school in 1962, so there has been plenty of time to wear out the 1st motor. Doubtfull there are replacement parts for it, but do a search (google) of what you have on thth tag. On some of this old stuff, you will become the authority, so write it up. Here is a good place to start. Keep us Posted, and help keep some of the good stuff around.

Lots of engines had a little raised flat spot on the block, usually up front on the side, (right front for International), that they stamped the Block/engine info on. You might need good light & a putty knife, and mirror, to see it, but I would bet that block is stamped somewhere. Is it clean? Thats the 1st hundred miles. Good Luck!

nb102

The heater is a hot water heater under the glovebox. The water lines are still connected to it. It does look very similar to the ones I have seen for my Willys CJ5. The motor doesnt seem to fit anywhere close on the heater box, unless it attaches to one of the small holes and sits above the box. The motor does have what looks like heating elements inside it.

On the engine, it's either the original LDS427 multifuel or the LDT465 in it. I'm pretty sure that it's the LDT465 because I found a spot where it has been painted "First run 12-22-82" on the engine. There was a number stamped on the block, I'll get it later when it's done raining.
2013-09-30 1.jpg2013-09-30 2.jpg2013-09-30 3.jpg2013-09-30 4.jpg2013-09-30 5.jpg

DavidWymore

nb102, I'd love to see more pictures an info on your truck if you're still around. Researching A1s as I have one that's in rough shape. (In my signature)

Thanks!

stb64

M35A1 2986 (21).jpgLDS 427-2 2993 (3).jpgThe engine data plate is located on the right side of the block. Right below the plate, and above the ''firing order 1-5-3-6-2-4'', there should be the date of mfg. cast into the block.
''First run 12-22-82'' could have been painted on a rebuilt or new LDS 427-2 in 1982.
The old style crossmember was standard for all M35A1 and for early M35A2. It fits both the 427 and the 465 engines.
There was a replacement kit with instructions to install the new style crossmember. The replacement kit was intended primarily to replace new style crossmembers with defective welds.
Your heater is not military. The original personnel heater was an upgrade that came in kit form, and had to be ordered, either as a -25 deg. hot water type , or as a -60 deg. fuel burning heater. Both are installed in the left side engine bay.
Your truck has the paper clip lifting eyes on the front bumper, so it must be USMC. See if you can find yellow markings in the usual places.

I would really appreciate some detail pictures of your exhaust system.

DavidWymore

I see what looks like USMC forest green and yellow letters on the door, and a hood handle.

I have a few old pictures of old A1 era USMC trucks gathered from the internet, and none have "paperclips". I think that might not have come around 'til A2...? The welds on those look pretty boogery, even from here. :)

stb64

You are right, but the lifting eyes could have been added later by the USMC, before the truck was surplussed.
Or the whole bumper could have been replaced.
I dont know wether the paperclips were installed at the factory, or by the USMC, even on the later trucks.
I have very little knowledge about USMC specific stuff.
We have two M809A2 series trucks on post, that were tranferred over fom the Marines. the paperclips were cut off, the welds are still visible. The trucks still have their USMC reg numbers, not the typical Army NLO... numbers.

rustystud

The heater is a hot water heater under the glovebox. The water lines are still connected to it. It does look very similar to the ones I have seen for my Willys CJ5. The motor doesnt seem to fit anywhere close on the heater box, unless it attaches to one of the small holes and sits above the box. The motor does have what looks like heating elements inside it.

On the engine, it's either the original LDS427 multifuel or the LDT465 in it. I'm pretty sure that it's the LDT465 because I found a spot where it has been painted "First run 12-22-82" on the engine. There was a number stamped on the block, I'll get it later when it's done raining.
View attachment 454715View attachment 454716View attachment 454717View attachment 454718View attachment 454719

I'm pretty sure that is not the stock cab heater. It looks like an old IHC model someone stuck in there, or it's an early Willys.

nb102

I started a more recent thread about the engine at http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?130446-M35A1-engine; My truck no longer has the original 427 and has had a LDT or LDS 465 swapped in with a 5ton turbo on it.

As for the other questions, I'm almost certain the front bumper and heater are not original. I have since replaced the heater as I could find no info or parts for it. I replaced it with a small Maradyne cab heater which doesnt take up as much space and looks a lot nicer. The data plate says the truck should have a winch, so at some point the bumper was switched as well. (Would love to find a winch bumper for it, and get rid of the horribly welded one on it...)

On the subject of the numbers, is there a way to find out what they should be based on the serial number? I have had no luck in stripping the paint back on the one door... They used some stubborn paint to cover it up with haha

DavidWymore

I started a more recent thread about the engine at http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?130446-M35A1-engine; My truck no longer has the original 427 and has had a LDT or LDS 465 swapped in with a 5ton turbo on it.

As for the other questions, I'm almost certain the front bumper and heater are not original. I have since replaced the heater as I could find no info or parts for it. I replaced it with a small Maradyne cab heater which doesnt take up as much space and looks a lot nicer. The data plate says the truck should have a winch, so at some point the bumper was switched as well. (Would love to find a winch bumper for it, and get rid of the horribly welded one on it...)

On the subject of the numbers, is there a way to find out what they should be based on the serial number? I have had no luck in stripping the paint back on the one door... They used some stubborn paint to cover it up with haha
stb and I are into A1s, and I am into USMC trucks...could we see some pics of your interior, dash tags, etc. and exhaust? Do the C clip tie down deals on the bottom of the sides of your bed above the tires have gusset plates welded on the outsides of them?

I haven't done it yet, but I'm told you can strip the paint with fine sandpaper and also find the frame numbers behind the front spring hanger on the driver's side.

Thanks!