• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A1 to sell or not to sell ??

scooter01922

Hey guys, its been a bit. I'm tossing around the idea of selling the M35A1 affectionately known as the plow deuce. Its a basically unmolested 1960 studebaker built A1, LDS427-2, the hinged mudflaps, pretty much all there. It runs, plows like a BEAST and starts regardless of temp. Has a uniquely mounted (totally removable with some LARGE bolts) 11 foot fixed angle plow blade. It does however have a headgasket that is leaking oil between the heads (needs attention this summer) and brakes that are not functional. First time i stepped on the petal when i bought it the drivers front wheel cyl blew and i simply have not screwed with it. Its been plowing out a private drive about 3/4 mile long the last few years. Works really well i just think it might be time for it to find a new home. A customer of mine has a serious collection of oshkosh plow trucks and he would be willing to part with one of the smaller ones. It would give me a wing plow and a dump bed, both things the M35 lacks and that would be handy. I mean i kinda sorta need a truck with a dump now and then and i kinda need a plow truck that pushes anything. I'm just REALLY trying to not take up more parking space as i was already out several purchases ago. I don't want to modify the A1 at all because it really is a pretty clean example overall so no chance of just making it a dump. Anyway, i just wanted to see what others thought about the prospects of finding it a NICE home. I'm sure i could get pretty good cash and sell it to someone to cut it up for mud runs but thats just wrong on so many levels. It needs someone who will appreciate it for what it is as a rare-ish deuce, I only know of a few guys on here with A1's. Not to mention i have no idea what its worth in the collector market segment. I have seen running run of the mill A2 deuces in OK shape sell for 9K around here!!! I'm certainly not expecting that but what should i expect? Pics to come, i'll try to grab a few tomorrow. YES, i know there is a classified section, i'm not trying to actively sell it in this post. It will end up in the classifieds if it seems to get favorable replies. BTW, not sure of the exact specs on the oshkosh, he had several but this one has the cummins 250 (with/without turbo i do not yet know) likely the 5 +4 for tranny/aux setup, heavy as ****, 11 foot front blade and 11 foot wing i believe. Still just tossing ideas around, need to sell the A1 before i can buy the oshkosh anyway. I'll grab all the specs and some pics just cause as soon as i can. Its entirely possible its prior military, 2 of the other ones he has are. Any and all opinions greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

scooter01922

Hmm, so its not going to be former mil i guess, seems only the 2206's were used. Well, still a very cool old beast of a truck. 2 days and no comments just a lot of views.....odd. Don't be shy....

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Buying a plow truck in the spring is like buying swimming trucks in November.....you might need them but it ain't likely.
Plus the mods sometimes get upset about selling stuff in the regular forums.
One advantage you have is that there are not nearly as many deuces coming out of GL as there used to be....prices are creeping back up.

scooter01922

Gotcha loud and clear WM and i'm not so much trying to sell it in the forum. Theres the classified section for that i'm just trying to judge if there is anyone actually willing to buy the darned thing for its collector value. That and to see what in the heck that value might be. IF its not worth selling it i'll just hang onto it and it can keep doing its mundane thankless job. Wrong time of year to sell a plow to be sure, but its the right time to try to buy one.... Besides, anyone looking at this as an A1 prob won't care one way of the other about the plow.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok, so 5 days and plenty of views but not one comment. Is is something i said??? Do i need a breath mint??
Negative. Forum members may just not want to interfere with what is entirely your decision. You own the truck. Maybe people would like for you to buy it a plow companion... :) I noticed that, at times, people are very privacy-conscious, while at other times they just let it rip.

I am sure that, properly advertised in the classifieds, with pics (maybe even one showing it in action, snow flying) will garner interest.

scooter01922

Well ya see, i would entirely buy it a companion but the GF whom i love very much and who makes way more money than me kinda wants me saving for a house more so than buying more heavy hunks of iron i already have nowhere to park. I kinda sorta have to agree that it is a wee bit crowded as it is. Its no real rush, just so happens that this guy has the extra oskosh and well, the darned thing is just soooo cool and would fit that particular role a little bit better.... Can't always have your cake and eat it too i guess. I know there is some demand for the A1's but really have no idea what one is worth. Obviously as much as someone is willing to pay but i don't think i have ever seen one for sale really aside from the odd one dragged out of the treeline with operational status unknown. Anyway, thanks for the reply. I'll just have to list it and see what happens or convince the GF that this poor unloved oshkosh would be much better off keeping the deuces company :beer:

DavidWymore

Stb64 and myself are into A1s and all the little differences between them and A2s. A bunch of pictures of your truck would be really cool. I'm interested in the hinged mudflaps and if the rear tail lights are hung from the frame or the bed and some of the interior stuff. My "mixed parts gasser" thread has kind of become the A1 thread. Thanks!

Hainebd

Pictures. Check parts prices for the new truck. A buddy of mine got a tow truck for a steal. He found out when he wheat to do the brake job the truck needed when he bought the thing. Not that good of a deal since parts alone cost upwards of $20,000. He sold the truck at a loss. Just check on parts before you take the plunge. Also, Pictures.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, pictures sell items, especially collector items, you may want to keep it, with all the global warming going on, the snow will be twice as deep this winter. You and the GF can both plow the neighborhood......

scooter01922

I'm here....sorta. Will respond to PM's and email but just don't have the time to hang out on here like i used to. The GF is now the WIFE..... and the "plow deuce" didn't plow last year. Fix headgasket VS just hang the plow on the M35A2C = the plow went on the other truck. I think we tallied something like 120 inches of snow this past winter. For anyone contemplating if a deuce will push snow let that sink in for a sec.... 120 inches..... 10 FEET of snow. Anyway, been working on the wifes plan of not buying anything till i sell something first. Its been working!!!! Have sold several things ( bulldozers etc) and then bought better examples to replace them with the money made. Since i tend to drag home rusty crusty busted things and fix them up they usually end up worth more then i have in them. Its nice, my stable of crap is definitely coming up in quality :) I can certainly grab a bunch of pics of the A1 for you A1 junkies. Just got a newer much nicer dozer dropped off to keep the trucks company and i was just about to go give it a good once over to finalize my to fix list on it. Wheres the fun (and potential profit) in buying things that don't need a little love? I'll get those pics up when i get the chance, may be a little bit since my new equip operator/ mechanic/ whatever needs to be done job seems to keep me very busy. Finally i can do something fun AND get paid :) this change in career is working out pretty well so far.

DavidWymore

Pictures (especially passenger dash) and maybe exhaust measurements would be much appreciated! I commented on the '13 plowing vid on youtube, it helped.

That fact that you have an A1 and A2 together might be handy as you might be able to identify some differences we haven't found.

If you're still thinking about selling, I think hndrsonj said he wanted an A1.

scooter01922

A1 tag.jpgThere :smile: I will see what i can do about exhaust measurements (and perhaps a better pic) Need to move the truck for that as where its parked is not really conducive to crawling under it this time of year, too muddy. While i have not been actively seeking a buyer its on the to do list now that the snow has melted to find it a new home. I'll get around to listing it properly one of these days, in the meantime if someone wanted to send me a PM, its a free country....

DavidWymore

So I got to go wander around a deuce lover's paradise (or two) this weekend and I'm on an A1 kick again. I enjoy finding the small trivial things that set apart the A1s and the gassers converted to multifuels. I found a '60 plow truck built by White that I think might have been an A1...

...so anyway, scooter, when you get a chance, pics of dash, gauge panel/switches, exhaust, would be cool. One thing I'd most like to see because I haven't been able to find any yet, is the hinged mudflaps, maybe with some rough measurements. I did get some pics and measurements of exhaust on a '63 this weekend, but the rest is rough, not very original.

It would be interesting to know how yours survived so long in decent shape and as an A1.

Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks