• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2-a3 comparision

6X6WES

greetings all, I have been reading here for little over a month now and I have a few questions. hope I don't sound like to much of a newbee. I drove my buddies early m35 (no turbo) on the beach here in nc. and loved it. I was going to build me a brand new older bronco {66-77} from a new bare frame and new sheet metal pieces for my 50th birthday next year but now have switched gears to building a deuce!! I've been researching and I think I know what I want to start with a m35a3 w/w . I was wondering if you guys had any bad or good things to say about either one, an a2 or a3. being a four wheeler for many years 35 to be exact I have broken and repaired many trucks. that being said I kinda like the old tried and true mechanical stuff as compared to the new trucks with all the computers and such. I figured I would pick your guys heads before I spent the cash. first off is the auto tranny in the a3 a mechanical one or does it have elect solenoids , computer , ect... ? second are all of the motors fully mechanical or is the cat a computer controlled unit? any draw backs to either one I should know about ? not sure if I will just drive it as is or "bob" it or make a rv type truck all is open now I just want to get 1 or 2 now before you cant. maybe even a 5 ton isn't out of the question. any comments are appreciated.
thanks wes (sorry so long)

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Parts wise you are better off with the A2 , only about 6000 A2 Deuce's were converted to A3's and given the ESP update . CTIS is a PITA . I put 395's on mine and it worked out well , 14.5's are hard to find . CAT motor is ok , but can get pricey for parts and/or repair . Alison and Air assist steering is nice . All that being said , I still like the sound of a WHISTLER , and there are still lots of A2's around with good prices . My truck would be a late Air Force Deuce with split brake system and cargo body , just add a winch and that would be perfect .

F18hornetM

If you want to ride around with coffee in one hand, buy the A3,[power steering an auto trans] if you want a rough and tumble, tough old truck that sounds awesome buy an A2. Or better buy both!! and a 5 ton.

6X6WES

unanimous a2 hmm. well I read that everyone wants the later air force truck for the brakes. couldn't you just use the master and proportioning valve off of that truck to split the system? I have done this on several old cars and trucks over the years. has anyone done it on these trucks? I did see hanks hydro boost f550 setup on his truck. I was a little leary about the auto trans holding up for years of abuse . and I knew the ctis was probably going to be a issue but I thought the cat motor was a big plus ! maybe not so much. I thought I saw in another thread a kit for the air assist steering? well you guys got me thinking even "rtk" who has an a3 is kinda siding with you guys im listening! I don't mind modifying stuff I think it keeps me sane! thanks for the knowledge. wes

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't let the lack of power steering scare you away. It was designed for an 18 to 22 year old man to handle so I think it is keeping me young. I off-road the heck out of mine (was out last night) with no issues. Just hold on tight and do not wrap your thumbs around the inside of the steering wheel. Once you get used to wrestling 395s around, the steering becomes easier. (or wrestling the steering makes handling the 395s easier).

6X6WES

a2 gooood, a3 juuuunk.
thank you for your input sir but could you give any details about why you think it is junk?

don't let the lack of power steering scare you away. It was designed for an 18 to 22 year old man to handle so i think it is keeping me young. I off-road the heck out of mine (was out last night) with no issues. Just hold on tight and do not wrap your thumbs around the inside of the steering wheel. Once you get used to wrestling 395s around, the steering becomes easier. (or wrestling the steering makes handling the 395s easier).
thanks vped, im not worried about the steering as much as some of the other things. I learned many years ago "thumbs up" the hard way. As i have had several trucks with 42in and 44in tires without power steering and liked it that way even with a small steering wheel . But a bitch to park some times but i dont see that being a issue with a deuce!

My snap on dealer came to shop today and i knew he had a cat motor in his truck it was a 3126 but he had a 3116 in the last truck he had and he had got 300k out of it with no problems he had said the only bad thing he knew about was the rail adj. On the injectors that few people knew how or even had the tool to set the gaps . I was hopeing someone had done the brakes as i explained above using the later air force master and proporsining valve that would be a much safer setup. I had also talked to one of my tow truck drivers that had driven a 3116 w/ allison set up and he liked it in his med duty tow truck. Ctis if worked it would be cool if not i can do without and bypass it.im not against getting a a2 just thinking i want to get the right truck to start with . And i guess that the clutch & 5 speed will help with slowing that big old sucker down with a downshift in the a2 and the overdrive sounds good also. I guess im still deciding but my boat will be gone soon so i can start with something to build! Much better pricing on the a2s as well and lots of parts local. So thanks for all the commets and a few more would be helpful. Thanks guys for all your help. Wes:-d

Rmtaunton

My 2cents if you want a deuce with power steering get one and add power steering still much cheaper than an a3 , I think they are both great tucks but I love a gear shift , if you want an auto , look to a 939 much more truck better steering and more comfy than an a3 , don't get me wrong I love them all !

Woodsplinter

The A2 is easier and cheaper, parts wise to work on. The multifuel has no electrical system- except the starter but the truck can be bump- started. Most people can work on the manual tranny- I don't know about the automatic.

You can add air-assist steering to the A2. M35tom has a full hydro conversion kit available if you want to go that way. You can switch to super singles if you want or stay with the standard 10.

In original configuration the A2 is faster than the A3. I would never consider getting an A3.

Jeepsinker

The transmissions in the a3 are known for being problematic. The cat motor will break down just like any other, and when it does you aren't fixing it on the side of the road, you aren't limping it home, and it will cost you big bucks to fix. The A3 does have the dual circuit brakes from the factory, that is the only improvement really. They do have a lower top speed despite the large tires, and not much you can do about it. And then add the fact that they already look like they were driven into a brick wall. They took a good truck and "modernized" it so the idiots that can't drive standard trans equipped trucks could drive them. Most things do turn to crap when people "modernize" things. Reliability always seems to take a back seat to other things.

Rmtaunton

The transmissions in the a3 are known for being problematic. The cat motor will break down just like any other, and when it does you aren't fixing it on the side of the road, you aren't limping it home, and it will cost you big bucks to fix. The A3 does have the dual circuit brakes from the factory, that is the only improvement really. They do have a lower top speed despite the large tires, and not much you can do about it. And then add the fact that they already look like they were driven into a brick wall. They took a good truck and "modernized" it so the idiots that can't drive standard trans equipped trucks could drive them. Most things do turn to crap when people "modernize" things. Reliability always seems to take a back seat to other things.
Harsh , and crude to A3 guys but totally agree , but ...... To each his own

Rmtaunton

Ok I will say that motor has a decent to great establishment in other vehicles , for me I am just biased so please exuse my thoughts , I guess I am more nastolgic to a manual in a deuce and I have never been in an A3 , but I can say you will smile no weather a A2 , A3, or 939

Jeepsinker

Well, some people think these little imported turds running the road look good too. I'm sorry, but they look like they should have been crushed right off of the assembly line. The imports that is.

welldigger

I'll be the Devils advocate here and say the a3 isn't that bad. My huge gripe with the a3 is the super low top speed of about 50mph. However, bob it and put 14.00-20s under it and your cruising at 60 mph. The cat engine is light years ahead of the multifuel. In just about every way. Power, reliability, and more and more parts availability. Also it's a civy engine many diesel mechanics are familiar with. The transmission is fine if there's nothing wrong with it. I say this because we don't know how hard these trucks were abused in their military life. That part can be a bit of a gamble. The ctis on the a3's is garbage. If you purchase an a3 disconnect the ctis immediately if it isn't already. More money and trouble than its worth. So either way I hope you enjoy the truck whichever you choose.

Hoefler

I had a nice A2 when I got my first A3. Sold the A2 and still have the A3.
i live in a more urban area. The A3 auto and air steer makes it much easier to motor around in. I found the A3 was out more than my A2.
have had my A3 for about three years now. Motor starts in the cold, trans shifts well, good mpg, motor sound is great. No issues outside of sticking e brake when cold and brake pedal return.
The hood is junk howeverIts dang ugly. Outside of that, she is a keeper.
pete

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So, all of these experienced members should have helped you (6X6WES) find these incredibly helpful M35A2 versus M35A3 threads:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/5...5a2-m35a3.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-m...cons-each.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/general...5a2-m35a3.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/4...hn-better.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/2...ake-m35a3.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/4...-a1-a2-a3.html

Once you read all of those, you'll be an expert on all the differences between the 2 models.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

In my humble opinion the A3 was designed by a crew of morons after discussing it with a group of idiots.
They took a basically bullet proof truck that could be worked on out in the woods with basic hand tools by an inexperienced driver and turned it into a "frankentruck".
It can't be push started, it won't get out of it's own way and that yaller motor is going to cost big bucks when it goes t!ts up.
For what they spent converting deuces they could have bought a lot more truck and just militarized it like they did the CUCV series of trucks.
Now this comes from an old soldier that has kicked his deuces to the curb and joined the 900 series 5 ton club.
The old deuce should have been left a deuce.

southdave

stupid air assist... if your going reconfigure a why not swap out the steering box for 6 bills verus the air kit for thousands
The navy did alot cucv type of thing through maron and international early ones in the mid eighties where sticks as the none clutch type drivers became mandated. gave way to crappy generation allisons and cat trannies..

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks