• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 advice needed

rustystud

I thought the dueces had 20 ton PTO drive winches? What kind of winch is on what?

Thank you all.
That's what the military rated them at. In actual usage there much more. I also like the idea of an electric winch. Less clutter underneath the truck (drivelines, PTO's, linkages), and unless your using it commercially the electric will do the job just fine.

jamawieb

CUCVLOVER I see that you live in West Tennessee, I'm in Ripley TN, where are you. I have a 69 Jeep Kaiser M35A2, w/winch. If you ever want to, you can come see mine and get a close up look at one. I bought mine without a hard top and winch but found a non-runner w/winch. I took everything off and moved it to my deuce, then sold the non-runner for what I paid for it. The only thing I don't like is there is no power steering!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's what the military rated them at. In actual usage there much more. I also like the idea of an electric winch. Less clutter underneath the truck (drivelines, PTO's, linkages), and unless your using it commercially the electric will do the job just fine.
This contradicts my understanding. 20 ton = 40,000lbs.... the winch on my 5ton is only 20,000 lbs rating. My understanding is the M35A2 winch was 10,000lbs....

CUCVLOVER

CUCVLOVER I see that you live in West Tennessee, I'm in Ripley TN, where are you. I have a 69 Jeep Kaiser M35A2, w/winch. If you ever want to, you can come see mine and get a close up look at one. I bought mine without a hard top and winch but found a non-runner w/winch. I took everything off and moved it to my deuce, then sold the non-runner for what I paid for it. The only thing I don't like is there is no power steering!
Thank you.
If I want to come look at I'll be I'm touch.

Thanks for all the information guys.
If ya could only buy on duece or 5ton what would it be?
Ie: engine, trans, basically the whole 9.

jamawieb

T
Thank you.
If I want to come look at I'll be I'm touch.

Thanks for all the information guys.
If ya could only buy on duece or 5ton what would it be?
Ie: engine, trans, basically the whole 9.
This has been talked about extensively in other post but it has to do with your preference. Myself, I love the fact of my multifuel engine and the simplicity of the older models. The deuce fits all my needs so a 5 ton is overkill for me but like I said everyone uses these for different purposes and a 5 ton might be what you need.

rustystud

This contradicts my understanding. 20 ton = 40,000lbs.... the winch on my 5ton is only 20,000 lbs rating. My understanding is the M35A2 winch was 10,000lbs....
I didn't say that the military rated the winch at 20tons. What I was saying was that the military rating system is very conservative and the 10,000 lbs rating of this winch is really much more in real world usage.

Eaglhawk

The front m35a2 winch is a difficult unit to use, it took a minimum of 3 of us to recover a 1/2 dodge 4x4 that rolled off the road 400 feet down. Broke the shear pin 5 times pulling the small truck up through the boulder field, because it would wedge into the outcrops. Original shearpin was mil spec aluminum. The replacements were ungraded (less than grade 2) soft steel bolts (butterbolts we call them) which sheared at about the same rating as the aluminum... Never put harder/stronger bolts in or the aluminum wormgear case can break... It looks cool on the truck, just difficult to use...

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really. I always thought that the winches could pick the front of the truck up in the air to change the tires with out using a snatch block.
Why are the under built?
They aren't under built. They're generally way overbuilt.

The shear pins mentioned above are a safety feature to keep it from breaking itself.

they aren't designed to be used by one person acting alone. Controls placement and such...

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still have one for sale. MF w/w c-turbo and very good NDTs. Couple of rust spots and I want to paint it. Plus, it came from TN (Smyrna). :)

CUCVLOVER

They aren't under built. They're generally way overbuilt.

The shear pins mentioned above are a safety feature to keep it from breaking itself.

they aren't designed to be used by one person acting alone. Controls placement and such...
Oohh OK. Now I got it thank you. Is it possible to be used by a single person?

If it not aperante yet I know very little about the duece.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Familiarize yourself with the manuals at this point. It will help you decide how to operate it. Useful tool used correctly, possible death/injury and certainly damage to something if used incorrectly.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it possible to be used by a single person?
Yes, it is possible. The military thought it would be better to have two soldiers operating it. Alone, you need to be as smart or smarter than two soldiers.
Do not even touch the winch until you have read and understood how it works and what the (simple) controls do. Try the controls with the engine off. Can you unlock the drum lock? Can you move the clutch lever between "out" and "in" (never under load!)? Does the drum free-spool when it is supposed to and lock when it should? Make sure you can feel the detents in the winch lever in the cab and can find "Neutral" reliably and in a hurry.

It helps to remember that, when it operates, the winch is mechanically locked to a 6 cylinder turbocharged diesel engine. Unless disengaged/de-clutched, the winch will mercilessly keep on pulling until something breaks with a bang.
Part of being smarter than two soldiers is to take your time, rig straps/chains carefully, think for a second before engaging any levers and only operate the winch while sitting in the cab, with one foot ready to press the clutch pedal.

I could go on and on....as can anyone that worked enough with heavy winches to see the carnage that can occur when something fails. They truly are not toys. Sorry if it comes across as a rant. I hate to see people get hurt.

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

Yes, it is possible. The military thought it would be better to have two soldiers operating it. Alone, you need to be as smart or smarter than two soldiers.
Do not even touch the winch until you have read and understood how it works and what the (simple) controls do. Try the controls with the engine off. Can you unlock the drum lock? Can you move the clutch lever between "out" and "in" (never under load!)? Does the drum free-spool when it is supposed to and lock when it should? Make sure you can feel the detents in the winch lever in the cab and can find "Neutral" reliably and in a hurry.

It helps to remember that, when it operates, the winch is mechanically locked to a 6 cylinder turbocharged diesel engine. Unless disengaged/de-clutched, the winch will mercilessly keep on pulling until something breaks with a bang.
Part of being smarter than two soldiers is to take your time, rig straps/chains carefully, think for a second before engaging any levers and only operate the winch while sitting in the cab, with one foot ready to press the clutch pedal.

I could go on and on....as can anyone that worked enough with heavy winches to see the carnage that can occur when something fails. They truly are not toys. Sorry if it comes across as a rant. I hate to see people get hurt.
I appreciate the information.
I totally agree with you about safety.
That's one thing about these truck especially I want to learn as much as possible about the operations of the truck before I purchase.
I'll be checking out the TMs soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks