• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Air Assisted Power Steering Questions???

WhoMe08721

Hey Guys,
I was thinking about installing a AIR O-MATIC air assisted power steering on my truck. But wanted to know some thing before buying and install one.

1) Is the AIR O-MATIC air assisted power steering worth the money???
2) Is the system reliable? and if the air cylinder fails when driving can you still steer the truck??
3) Has any one have issue with water in the air system with this system??
4) What the going price on a used system and NOS system?? I found a complete working used system for $1,200.00. Is that a good price???
5) What should I look at when buying a used system??
6) Are they hard to install??
7) Finally opinion on the over all system???
1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been awhile but. Make sure you have a air cut off valve to the unit starting at the tap. It was said run the regulator wide open so it that's true you do not need the regulator. Instead install small water catch type of filter set up.

runk

Here is a not too distant discussion with some good links -

My opinions (FWIW) on your questions-
1) Is the AIR O-MATIC air assisted power steering worth the money???
Depends on the money, when a bunch of them were on the market 10-15 years ago, absolutely ! Recently new sets have gone for crazy money, maybe more then paying someone else to install a conventional power steering conversion.
2) Is the system reliable? and if the air cylinder fails when driving can you still steer the truck??
System is reliable, and when it fails you are just back to the no assist configuration. But, the pressure protection valve is essential to preserve brake air if there is a leak in the steering.
3) Has any one have issue with water in the air system with this system??
Maybe. There have been some discussion on what causes failures in the non- serviceable drag link/actuators, and water contamination is a possibility.
4) What the going price on a used system and NOS system?? I found a complete working used system for $1,200.00. Is that a good price???
That is pretty similar to what NOS systems were going for 10-15 years ago, when they were more available.
5) What should I look at when buying a used system??
Drag link/ actuator is functional !!! Pressure cylinder is usable. Other mechanical mounts are present.
6) Are they hard to install??
Drilling the hole through the frame for the air fitting sucks.
7) Finally opinion on the over all system???
I love mine, maybe not as good as a hydraulic power steering conversions but way easier to install. Saves my poor old arthritic elbows

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks