• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Airpack?????

acetomatoco

The AirPak (TM) is a air hydraulic cylinder which acts as your power brake booster.. The old style actually lasted from 1950 in these trucks until just about now... The newer replacements for the old one were just made available a few years ago and do the same function. More compact air side but interchangeable. Don't forget the 6 month interval OHT (air/hydraulic cylinder oil) in the air side every 6 months...keeps the bore shiny and smooth...and appears on most Lube Orders for the M35, M54, M800 series ACE Been a deucophile since 1963. :shock: :shock:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry4x4 said:
Besides what Ace says, it also meters air for trailer brakes!
The (yellow, service) driver's side glad hand in the rear of your deuce is directly connected to the air line which operates the large airpak piston and must be closed when not hooked up to a trailer. If your brakes ever lock up because of an airpak malfunction, they can be released by opening this glad hand (valve).

The lube will also mix with the air and lubricate the control valves of the airpak. I use pneumatic tool oil for this, BTW.

metromack

I have this new style and the old rebuild kit does not seem to work with it. Is it possible that there is an even newer stye? When I called Memphis Truck they said they can't even gt rebuild kits. Anyone have a line on rebuild kits thanks

Boatcarpenter

Steve,
OHT is Oil, hydraulic and tool, or something like that. Pneumatic air tool is what I use because I have it always handy for my carpentry air tools. There should be a small square headed plug on the back of the airpack where you can add a shot or two of oil to keep the air cylinder lubed and nice. If the plug has not been removed for a while it may be somewhat of a fight. Mine was so buggered I replaced it with a hex head brass plug that can be removed with a 7/16 socket now. Very nice.
BC

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
73m819 said:
ive seen them on ebay quite a bit
I would imagine the rebuild kits on Ebay, I've bought 2 or 3, are for the old style airpacks?
I've got three that need rebuilding so I've been collecting kits. Anyone have a part number for the old style kits?

I hope this is the correct number: 2530-00-040-2190

metromack

4 star I believe you have the right kit for the older style of air packs. I have an updated airpack I believe that was put on my truck before the military they sold it and it is quite different in many ways to the older styles. It has many more smaller seals a rather large spring on the air side and where the air is supplied to the cylinder it is triangula in shape with 3 bolts holding it on. I was wondering if maybe this could actully be off of a 5 ton. But needless to say the truck sits, it's looking better for scrap as each day goes by!!!!!!!!!

Jake0147

steelandcanvas said:
Can this be introduced into the system via the air compressor intake?
Never tried it- I'd suspect that it wouldn't compress well. I'd further suspect that the majority of it would collect in the first tank and be expelled with the water long before it made it to the brake booster.

stimmy

i have the old style and need a kit had to bypass it today on the road. it would not release i have it apart and the seals are gone. :grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks