• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 As a working Truck

Deuceshigh

I plan on getting a m35a2c soon to haul scrap metal around and some other tasks that are too big for my 95 k2500 6.5 turbo. I hope everything works out well for the both of us.
Best of luck! I look forward to getting mine.
I drove one back and forth to work everyday for a couple of years. It started when faced into the icy cold, unlike my coworkers who had to plug their newer diesels in. You learn to be careful where you park and a few extra steps never hurt me. I covered lots of road miles under 45 mph and just enjyed the trip. It got better fel mileage than a lot of half tons.

Now I work for large recycler of metals. I am regularly pulling some CDL rig out of some mess he got himself into. The latest was a guy who missed a driveway backing in a semi. Lots of us will be glad to help you when you need it, some will grump about reading the TMs or using the search function. I hear how uncomfortable they are, but i really do not mind long trips in mine.

I currently have my 6th, 7th and 8th multifuel deuces. I find them relatively easy to work on and most parts cheaper than a like item for my newer diesels. My youngest just hates them, my oldest son would drive one everday. Like our taste in women, we surely are not all the same.

I run mine slower than most folks here. I burn mostly old diesel and JP8 that i recover. I love it when somebody puts gasoline in their newer diesels. I buy the stuff from several shops for a dollar a gallon. They are not for everybody, but if you find yourself liking one and can live with its quirks, that old girl can do a whole lot of work, everyday, day after day, just a little slower than most want to go. Glen
Sounds like what I want one for. The kind of remind me of my ex girlfriend big (but not fat just REALLY big, she was 6', but I am 6' 4" so it worked lol) and terrifyingly loud, but lots of fun! Quirks are fun so long as I don't lose a brake line. Though on the parking thing, regardless of vehicle it pays to be careful where you park.

You may want to look into insurance first because your age may make it difficult to insure. There is a real go thread on insurance here but I found that some of the companies listed didn't work for me. It almost seams like it depends on who you talk to at the insurance company as to whether or not they can insure them. So you may just need to call around some of your local brokers. If you can find insurance, then I think you should go for it. If you aren't interested in going faster than 50 mph then you may want to consider getting an M35A3. They have air assisted steering, automatic transmissions, they are quite enough that you don't have to wear ear protection, they already have super singles, electric wipers, insulated cab, dual circuit breaks, nice air ride drivers seat, and they have more horsepower. Unfortunately, the A3 isn't a multi-fuel.
Fortunately, I already did that. It is about $1300 per year for a deuce, but it is about that much for any truck I want. I have USAA due to literally every other adult male before me being in the military and apparently I qualify too (yay!). I like the idea of an A3 but the cost discouraged me. I don't care about the super singles and have no desire to drive in the rain, but if one falls in my lap Ill dive on it. But the real reason I want a deuce is it is big AND multi fuel. Which to be honest is surprisingly cheap for the fact that I am a teenager.

And to everyone who has posted thus far, thank you for the help!