• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 automatic transmission swap?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm leaning towards cutting the ears of the 5ton flywheel housing and building a steel cradle mount for it. I can do that for free, in a day. I don't know how it didn't occur to me earlier.
Do it for free, yes... but In a day?? Good luck with that...! And don't forget that the starter will be on the wrong side, just where you want the R-L motor mount to be....

neomadic

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do it for free, yes... but In a day?? Good luck with that...! And don't forget that the starter will be on the wrong side, just where you want the R-L motor mount to be....
It took a couple hours to trim the flywheel housing up. I'm pulling the LDT housing off tonight but building the brackets to adapt the LDS housing doesn't look too hard. Looks like I might end up moving the driver's side mount back 4 inches on the frame though, to clear the starter.

I like the starter on the left. That means I can go straight down with the exhaust and quit smashing it with the tire. My battery box is on the driver's side too.

I measured the LDS flywheel housing to potentially drill it for the SAE 2 pattern where I can't embiggen the clutch housing holes, but opening is too big and the SAE#2 holes would be right on the edge. I'll post a good writeup with drawings and dimensions in a new thread once I get it all figured out.